Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #2,661
DiracPool said:
I like the monster tacos at burger king (with the extra sauce) :oldsmile:

Right now, though, I've got a rack of Kansas city spareribs on my rotisserie. Problem is, the recipe calls for 5 hours of cooking and it's been about 1.5 hours, and I'm hungry.

Guess I'm going to have to break open a can of soup

Weird, so you need to know if you will feel hungry five hours ahead of time before committing to cooking?

EDIT: How about that Nuwave Oven cooker, couldn't it cook them faster than that? I am hoping to buy one one of these days, seems better and safer than a standard kitchen.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,662
WWGD said:
Weird, so you need to know if you will feel hungry five hours ahead of time before committing to cooking?

I wasn't thinking too deeply about it at the moment, I just opened the fridge and saw a rack of ribs that looked like they needed to be cooked. And that's what I did. It's only 1.7 hours later here that I realized I was hungry NOW!

• #2,663
DiracPool said:
I wasn't thinking too deeply about it at the moment, I just opened the fridge and saw a rack of ribs that looked like they needed to be cooked. And that's what I did. It's only 1.7 hours later here that I realized I was hungry NOW!

Makes sense, ribs are always good . EDIT: take a long nap and let the smell wake you up -- best alarm EVER.

• #2,664
WWGD said:
EDIT: How about that Nuwave Oven cooker, couldn't it cook them faster than that? I am hoping to buy one one of these days, seems better and safer than a standard kitchen.

You know, back in the day, I'd be less likely to fall for the infomercial hype. But (my mom) has bought a few things off there that has actually turned out to be insanely great. One is the nutri-bullet. The other is the "teeter-totter" inversion machine. Might the Nuwave cooker be another? Maybe, let me know. In principle I like the idea of a pressure cooker. It's just about what works and what is easy to use, in my opinion..

• #2,665
DiracPool said:
You know, back in the day, I'd be less likely to fall for the infomercial hype. But (my mom) has bought a few things off there that has actually turned out to be insanely great. One is the nutri-bullet. The other is the "teeter-totter" inversion machine. Night the Nuwave cooker be another? Maybe let me know. In principle I like the idea of a pressure cooker. It's just abut what works and what is easy to use, in my opinion..

Same here. But the teeter-totter is around $400 last I checked -- notice they don't mention the price in the infomercial. They'd most likely get the response : wow, looks great, but , is it really worth $400? Still, I understand it must be well designed, you don't want to end swinging upside down, unable to get yourself back down, be found after a few days, looking like an idiot.

EDIT: I remember another product: the knife that cuts through _everything_ , they don't mention, including your fingers--yikes.

• #2,666
WWGD said:
Same here. But the teeter-totter is around $400 last I checked -- notice they don't mention the price in the infomercial.

I think we paid $199. They have different versions. I'm a member of the local YMCA and asked them if they had an "inversion solution" to my problem, and they said unequivocally, "NO," they didn't have an inversion solution for me. So I had to order the teeter hang-ups.

http://teeter.com/

I think I got in at the right time because now success has gone to their heads. I'd recommend getting the bare-boned version and not falling for the upgrade hype.

• #2,667
DiracPool said:
I think we paid $199. They have different versions. I'm a member of the local YMCA and asked them if they had an "inversion solution" to my problem, and they said unequivocally, "NO," they didn't have an inversion solution for me. So I had to order the teeter hang-ups.

http://teeter.com/

I think I got in at the right time because now success has gone to their heads. I'd recommend getting the bare-boned version and not falling for the upgrade hype.

How long do you lay upside down for? What do you do all that time? Upside down TV?

• #2,668
WWGD said:
How long do you lay upside down for? What do you do all that time? Upside down TV?

Defintley not upside-down TV, that doesn't work. Nor do you need it. It's very emotionally retching to invert, and it takes all your concentration just to cope with it. But it feels great. I recommend getting the back arch support and the little knobs that give you an acupunture massage thing. These actually work, believe it or not, and I wouldn't be recommending them otherwise. However, I think with the teeter.com project they come with the machine automatically whether you like it or not. So the point is mute.

They say to invert 5-15 minutes, but I'd recommend 5 minutes. I've never done more than that.

Edit: I meant to say the point is "moot." But "mute" may be appropriate also.

Last edited:
  • #2,669
I'll check it out when I get a chance. Seems like it would be helpful.

• #2,670
WWGD said:
I'll check it out when I get a chance. Seems like it would be helpful.

Well, at the risk of trying to appear like I'm selling a product, which I'm not, just the freedom to arrange yourself at any angle you want is pretty freeing. Typically we have two phases. 90 degrees straight up, 180 degrees when we are sleeping, and maybe 45 degrees when we are couch-potato slouching. This gives you the freedom to smoothly work the angle back and forth and in a continuous manner, which may seem trivial on it's face, but in practice it's pretty liberating..

• #2,671
Seems like a psycho just moved in upstairs apt., using something that sounds like power tools up to
3-4 a.m . Hard to get work down with the noise, and knowing there is a psycho. Hope someone
will take care of it soon.

• #2,672
The Old Movie Channel is showing a film of Sherlock Holmes made in 1916! Apparently, this film was believed to be lost until a negative of it was discovered in France in 2014. It's been restored and spiffed up, and this is the re-premiere. The public hasn't seen it since 1920.

The actor playing Holmes definitely looks the part. Unfortunately, the fact it's a silent film pretty much damns it. You can't get a full sense of the characters or the atmosphere without sound. I'm finding it very boring.

• #2,673
WWGD said:
Seems like a psycho just moved in upstairs apt., using something that sounds like power tools up to
3-4 a.m . Hard to get work down with the noise, and knowing there is a psycho. Hope someone
will take care of it soon.
Boy that sucks. But I don't have time to commiserate. Got a long night of psychotic power tool use ahead of me.

• #2,674
zoobyshoe said:
Boy that sucks. But I don't have time to commiserate. Got a long night of psychotic power tool use ahead of me.
Including a chainsaw? But you're not in Texas.

• #2,675
WWGD said:
Including a chainsaw? But you're not in Texas.
No one else would know if you didn't say that! :DD

• #2,676
Silicon Waffle said:
No one else would know if you didn't say that! :DD

He's mentioned he is in California. Don't know about the powertools issue, though.

• #2,677
I want to have a rant, TV today is absolute crap there is nothing i want to watch, even the discovery channels are rubbish now, all we have are soaps,quiz shows and films that are donkeys years old.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #2,678
wolram said:
I want to have a rant, TV today is absolute crap there is nothing i want to watch, even the discovery channels are rubbish now, all we have are soaps,quiz shows and films that are donkeys years old.
History channel used to be history, now it's pawn stars and reality TV

• #2,679
KiggenPig said:
History channel used to be history, now it's pawn stars and reality TV

And Space Alien garbage. Still a few good things here-and-there, but , true, a lot of garbage in between.

• #2,680
wolram said:

The last year I had cable, 2008 I think, I only turned my TV on once a month, just to verify:
a. My TV still worked, and
b. that everything was still crap.​

Thank you for the update.

Likes nuuskur and Silicon Waffle
  • #2,681
OmCheeto said:
The last year I had cable, 2008 I think, I only turned my TV on once a month, just to verify:
a. My TV still worked, and
b. that everything was still crap.​

Thank you for the update.
Yeap, that pretty much covers it.

• #2,682
KiggenPig said:
reality TV
Reality? Give me a break. :oldgrumpy:

• #2,683
I don't want to post so much on PF as it takes some Greg's space but here is a story about 3 old men and a boy I would want to post only once, never twice.
3 were sitting in a bar and saw a boy coming in, they made a bet to get $1000 from the other 2 if the boy answered correctly 3 questions as previously planned by one of the old men who was going to ask him.
Q1. Are trees tall ? (planned reply by the old men: Yes)
Q2. Can you fall from a tall tree ? (planned reply by the old men: Yes)
Q3. Can magicians use their balls, magic sticks and hats ? (planned reply by the old men: Yes)

The boy was asked accidentally, that means, he didn't know the questions in advance.
So one of them approached and asked him all 3 questions. He said Yes to all 3 as expected. And the man got $2000 from the other men and all 3 laughed their AO.

My question is, who among them is/are the donkeys, including the boy ?

• #2,684
itex tag superior to # # tag. The latter loads for so abnormally long, every time I write in ##, I feel like my browser crashed when I press the preview button :wideeyed:

• #2,685
Just read of someone with last name 'best' . If that was me and I had sons/daughters, I would call them "yurda" and "amda" .

• #2,686
Embarrassingly , I have become " one of those people" with a gigantic backpack that gets in everyone's way. I almost knocked out cold this petite lady with my backpack when I turned around and accidentally hit her with it.

• #2,687
WWGD said:
Embarrassingly , I have become " one of those people" with a gigantic backpack that gets in everyone's way. I almost knocked out cold this petite lady with my backpack when I turned around and accidentally hit her with it.
Install a cattle catcher on your body. Sure it's expensive, and inconvenient - but it's for the public good.

Likes Evo
  • #2,688
Back to the old undergrad days of writing research papers, to get some money on the side. Wish I had more interesting topics.

• #2,689
lisab said:
Install a cattle catcher on your body. Sure it's expensive, and inconvenient - but it's for the public good.
Too late, she is splattered all over the sidewalk, 25 feet away, where she landed.

• #2,690
WWGD said:
Back to the old undergrad days of writing research papers, to get some money on the side.

What? You get money for writing research papers? Where's this?

• #2,691
DiracPool said:
What? You get money for writing research papers? Where's this?
It is just a side thing for someone I met, not a company thing. He is too busy, needs some things done and has some extra $$.

• #2,692
Marty McFly is supposed to arrive to his future today, 10 / 21 / 2015.

• #2,693
WWGD said:
Marty McFly is supposed to arrive to his future today, 10 / 21 / 2015.
There's a thread for that:
Happy Back to the Future Day

Likes WWGD
  • #2,694
Here's a very fine new robot dog:

Likes collinsmark, Silicon Waffle and Borg
  • #2,695
I know it is a cliché, but one can learn so much by just asking.

Likes Silicon Waffle