Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
I'm happy to say that my brother and I have reunited after close to 30 years.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good to hear Evo. :)

Enigman said:
Need more puzzles.

Need less puzzles.

Evo said:
I'm happy to say that my brother and I have reunited after close to 30 years.

I'm happy to see you happy :)

Borek said:
I'm happy to see you happy :)
Thank you Borek, that makes me happy. :smile:

Evo said:
Thank you Borek, that makes me happy. :smile:

I am also happy that everybody is happy. And I'm happy as long as no-one is playing that song...

-Davek

dkotschessaa said:
I am also happy that everybody is happy. And I'm happy as long as no-one is playing that song...

-Davek
434f07006f631103d573a2e9d38a0c9a.jpg

Ugh, facebook, it's so hard to like you. And now you play video automatically :grumpy:!

Is there a way to turn off this "feature"?

I am going to ...shoot somebody.. Some school kid was walking along , then crossed the road while she had a red light. Ok, wouldn't be so bad, BUT she was facefirst in her smartphone and when I stopped, got out of the car and asked WHAT THE HELLLLL, she was like, Hey mister, I'm tweeting alright, what's your problem?? ...

I am...going to...HANG MYSELF! goddamn kids doing ma head in! :grumpy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IY0sxSbh4Y

Unfortunately she sounds like the next Darwin award.

lendav_rott said:
I am going to ...shoot somebody.. Some school kid was walking along , then crossed the road while she had a red light. Ok, wouldn't be so bad, BUT she was facefirst in her smartphone and when I stopped, got out of the car and asked WHAT THE HELLLLL, she was like, Hey mister, I'm tweeting alright, what's your problem?? ...

I am...going to...HANG MYSELF! goddamn kids doing ma head in! :grumpy:

I recently posted about a very similar experience, but can't seem to find it. It may be on FB.

dressed like a ninja
on a dark rainy night
dawdling across a poorly lit street
texting
splat​

The only reason I didn't run the ninja over was because I saw the glow of their stupidphone.

ps. It was not a school kid. hmmmm... I've heard of suicide by cop, and think this may be a new alternative method.

I just LOVE software upgrades. Got a new PC, downloaded the latest version of my favorite text editor, trashed about 150 files before noticing there was a problem (one of its good features is you can do search and replace on lots of files simultaneously).

It turned out they have "enhanced" the syntax of regular expressions. You don't get any new functionality, but to comply with the Outer Mongolian Yak Herders' latest standards for yurt design (or something similar), the meanings of ( ) and \( \) have been swapped over.

So now I have to go back through my entire collection of customized editing macros and change them - the new version was smart enough to import them from the previous version, but not smart enough to change them so they still work. :mad:

Does anyone else find it difficult to befriend people who absolutely despise mathematics and science?

I find it almost impossible to befriend Any-one.
-but Any-one always had a bad attitude, I always liked No-one much better​

HomogenousCow said:
Does anyone else find it difficult to befriend people who absolutely despise mathematics and science?

Back in school, yes, because I thought I was smart then. Now I know I'm stupid, so my "standards" are lowered :D

The only reason I didn't run the ninja over was because I saw the glow of their stupidphone.
When I next see such an opportunity, I don't care..someone needs to learn some time :devil: I mean it's obvious that they don't care, why should I then? :mad: And if I hit someone, I'll make sure I did a good job of it and reverse back over just in case.

Last edited:
I picked up my deceased dog Chacha's ashes today. Beautifully done in a dark mahogany box with a bronze clasp, the ashes are held in a silk organza bag tied with satin ribbons, they included a memorial cast paw print and a lovely certificate with her information. The vet sent me a beautiful card and everyone there wrote a small note about their memories of her, (since she was so ill, she was there a lot) they went above and beyond taking care of her special needs and never charged extra for the double personnel and time they needed to take with her so as not to stress her heart. Good people, very good people. All I had to do when I called was say, "this is Chacha's mom" and they'd say "hi Evo, how is her cough?"

She's next to the Fruit Bat now.

I want to thank all of the wonderful members that have given their condolences, it's meant a lot.

Last edited:
That's sweet Evo. Chacha will be missed.

Likes 1 person
Awww, it's sweet that they gave her ashes such loving care.

Amazing how pets who have died stay with us so long in memory. I frequently think of Sweet Miss Phoebe, the feline who owned me but died 3 years ago. I miss her so much.

I know people sometimes rue the difference in life spans between us and our animal companions. But I would not want them to outlive us - what would become of them after we die? Heartbreaking to think about!

And yet, it's heartbreaking that we outlive them :frown:.

Likes 1 person
I think Chacha's death is hard on me because she was tortured and abused to the point that she couldn't trust humans. Sometimes she'd start to wag her tail and start to accept love, then would freak out and withdraw, like she was used to being offered love only for it to be a cruel joke where she was abused instead. I never succeeded in getting her to accept that she could be loved and not tortured. :cry:

I'm sure you did Evo. :(

deja vu... I was out having lunch and saw that some punk was walking along with his face nailed to the touchscreen of his...whatever it was, iphone or samsung or who knows. Walking along merrily into a red light and the driver almost hit the traffic light post because of him.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry..

Oh, insomnia, insomnia. It's 5 AM here and still not asleep.

My mainstay of falling asleep (counting sheep, so to speak) is concentrating on angular momentum conservation, with the occasional sidestep of trebuchet action. It's not working tonight though. In my mind tonight I've already taken down four fortresses and two prison keeps, some of which involved rifled siedge weapons (not historical -- that's my dreaming/sleepy idea), but to no avail.

On a possibly related note, I did pre-order Wolfenstein: The New Order. But that won't be out for another month.

Oh, I am not looking forward to tomorrow (oh gosh, is it today already!?).

Last edited:
Evo said:
She's next to the Fruit Bat now.
:cry:

Likes 1 person
Evo said:
I think Chacha's death is hard on me because she was tortured and abused to the point that she couldn't trust humans. Sometimes she'd start to wag her tail and start to accept love, then would freak out and withdraw, like she was used to being offered love only for it to be a cruel joke where she was abused instead. I never succeeded in getting her to accept that she could be loved and not tortured. :cry:

You made a difference Evo. Chacha didn't initially grow up knowing you in her early life, and maybe she didn't gain the opportunity to fully adapt. I believe your care allowed her to experience love and affection. That's important when all is said and done, and that's what matters, me thinks.

Years ago I adopted a kitten, "Nyquist Stability Criterion for the Function GH(s)". For short I called him "Simplified Nyquist Criterion," or just "Nyquist."

Originally he was found in a dumpster. All his siblings were there dead, and he was the sole survivor of the litter. He was rescued/discovered by an acquaintance of mine who wasn't allowed to have pets per the landlord/tenant agreement. I took in the kitten.

Nyquist was never a normal cat. He had social issues that I could write a book about (perhaps I'll save those for another time). But he was loved.

He passed away a few years ago. I miss him dearly. He was such an odd cat. I know his kitten-hood was not ideal, but he was loved. I treasure our relationship. I think [Edit: I'm sure] he did too.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I know his kitten-hood was not ideal, but he was loved. I treasure our relationship. I think [Edit: I'm sure] he did too.

This reminds me of something I read yesterday. I had found that someone named Basia had sang the song I had been humming to myself for two weeks. So yesterday morning at work, I put on the 50 song youtube Basia mix. After a few songs, a different voice was singing. They had thrown in songs sung by other people, of similar genre. So Anita Baker was singing, and I looked at her face. It looked somewhat sad. So I read her bio on wiki:

She was abandoned by her mother when she was two years old, then her foster parents both died when she was 12.

I decided that I would probably have a permanent sad face if I'd started life out like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKoKpYsTz9c​

I didn't know there were other older versions of the riddle of Strider:

1) All that is gold does not glitter,
all that is long does not last,
All that is old does not wither,
not all that is over is past.

2) All that is gold does not glitter,
not all those that wander are lost;
and pre may burn bright in the frost;
Not all that have fallen are vanquished,
not only the crowned is a king;
Let blade that was broken be brandished,
and Fire be the Doom of the Ring.

3) All that is gold does not glitter,
and bright may be fire in the frost.
The pre that was low may be woken;
and sharp in the sheath is the sting;
Forged may be blade that was broken;
the crownless again may be king.

4) All that is gold does not glitter;.
not all those that wander are lost.
All that grows old does not wither;
not every leaf falls in the frost.
Not all that have fallen are vanquished;
a king may yet be without crown,
A blade that was broken be brandished;
and towers that were strong may fall down.

I am trying to think about a reason to buy Kindle edition of King's Carrie for $6.83 when paperback versions are available for $3.92.

Borek said:
I am trying to think about a reason to buy Kindle edition of King's Carrie for $6.83 when paperback versions are available for $3.92.

I am trying to think of a reason to read either.

Enigman said:
I didn't know there were other older versions of the riddle of Strider:

1) All that is gold does not glitter,
all that is long does not last,
not all that is over is past.

2) All that is gold does not glitter,
and pre may burn bright in the frost;
Not all that have fallen are vanquished,
not only the crowned is a king;
Let blade that was broken be brandished,
and Fire be the Doom of the Ring.

3) All that is gold does not glitter,
and bright may be fire in the frost.
The pre that was low may be woken;
and sharp in the sheath is the sting;
Forged may be blade that was broken;
the crownless again may be king.

4) All that is gold does not glitter;.
not all those that wander are lost.
All that grows old does not wither;
not every leaf falls in the frost.
Not all that have fallen are vanquished;
a king may yet be without crown,
A blade that was broken be brandished;
and towers that were strong may fall down.

There's a lady who's sure that part of this is not true.

My poor finger is swelling, not sure what to do with this hangnail, it's buried underneath the skin. :cry: