Reversible adiabatic expansion proof

In summary: The relationship is: T^(Cp,m/R)/P = constantWhere R is the gas constant and Cp,m is the molar heat capacity.
Latsabb

Homework Statement

Prove the relationship between the pressure, P, and the temperature, T, for an ideal gas with a reversible adiabatic expansion. Base the proof on the first law of thermodynamics and the ideal gas law.

The relationship is: T^(Cp,m/R)/P = constant

Where R is the gas constant and Cp,m is the molar heat capacity.

Homework Equations

ΔU=Q-W
pV=nRT

Possibly relevant:
Wrev=-pdV
γ=Cp,m/Cv,m where γ is the heat capacity ratio.
PVγ= constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start explaining what I have tried... I have been kicking around a lot of things. I can't seem to manage to manipulate things so that temperature is to the power of anything, although I have burnt a lot of time trying to turn PVγ into some relation for T to the power of some derivative of gamma. I assume since gamma has Cp,m in it, that it is going to play in, and especially since it is already a power for volume, this flagged me in that direction, but I am just going around in circles.

Any help in the right direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Latsabb said:
The relationship is: T^(Cp,m/R)/P = constant

Where R is the gas constant and Cp,m is the molar heat capacity.

Homework Equations

ΔU=Q-W
pV=nRT

Possibly relevant:
Wrev=-pdV
γ=Cp,m/Cv,m where γ is the heat capacity ratio.
PVγ= constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start explaining what I have tried... I have been kicking around a lot of things. I can't seem to manage to manipulate things so that temperature is to the power of anything, although I have burnt a lot of time trying to turn PVγ into some relation for T to the power of some derivative of gamma. I assume since gamma has Cp,m in it, that it is going to play in, and especially since it is already a power for volume, this flagged me in that direction, but I am just going around in circles.
Start with PVγ= constant and substitute nRT/P for V.

AM

Ok, so I end up with:
P*(nRT/P)γ=c

Which I then turn into:
P*(nRT)γ/Pγ=c

And then:
(nRT)γ/Pγ-1=c

Am I on the right track? Because I have been playing around with it, and I can't seem to extract nR out, nor am I having luck manipulating the powers to what I need.

If you are supposed to use the first law, then you are expected to start with

##dU=nCvdT=-PdV##

I finally got it nailed down. Chester was correct, the missing piece here was that dU=Cv,mdT=-PdV. An integration of that, and some minor modifying of terms produced what I was after. Thank you!

1. What is reversible adiabatic expansion?

Reversible adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands without any heat transfer occurring between the system and its surroundings. This means that the expansion is both reversible (can be undone) and adiabatic (no heat is added or removed).

2. How is reversible adiabatic expansion different from other types of expansion?

Reversible adiabatic expansion differs from other types of expansion (such as isothermal or isobaric) in that no heat is added or removed from the system during the process. This results in a change in temperature and pressure of the gas, without any change in its internal energy.

3. What is the proof for reversible adiabatic expansion?

The proof for reversible adiabatic expansion is based on the first and second laws of thermodynamics. It involves using the equations for work and internal energy to show that the change in temperature and pressure of the gas during the process is related by the equation ΔT/T = ΔP/P.

4. Why is reversible adiabatic expansion important in thermodynamics?

Reversible adiabatic expansion is important in thermodynamics because it is a theoretical ideal process that can be used to understand and analyze real-world systems. It can also be used to calculate the work done by a gas during expansion and the change in its internal energy.

5. Can reversible adiabatic expansion occur in real-life systems?

While reversible adiabatic expansion is an ideal process, it is difficult to achieve in real-life systems. This is because it requires a perfectly insulated system with no energy transfer occurring between the system and its surroundings. However, some systems, such as gas turbines, can come close to reversible adiabatic expansion under certain conditions.