Can I Calculate Shear Force and Bending Moment for Partially Loaded Beams?

In summary, the two UDL diagrams show how the beam will be loaded and the superposition of the two calculations will give the combined deflection for the beam.
Ron180
Hi,

I am designing a beam to replace a load bearing wall.

I have produced 2 separate UDL diagrams which, one for floor load and one for wall load. I am trying to find shear force and bending moment as in one for the total of the two diagrams. I know how to do it if the loads are spread across the whole beam but when just part of it is loaded, that's where I am a bit confused.

thanks

Here is what i have so far attached:

calc.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your right, i was a little confused. I have understood what I am doing now.

However I am still not sure about finding the max deflection on a simply supported beam, when there are two UDL's.
For example, a 5m span beam has a udl of 2kN/m acting on 2m and 1kN/m acting on 3m. what is the formula to find max deflection?

Any advise is welcome.
Thank you

You can use what is called superposition to find the combined deflection of a beam which has two different loadings.

In your case, you treat the beam as if it was loaded with only the 2 kN/m UDL acting on the 2m length and calculate the deflection at a series of different locations. Then, assume the beam is loaded with only the 1 kN/m UDL acting on the 3m length and calculate the deflection at the same locations as you did with the first UDL. The deflection of the beam with both UDLs applied will then be the sum of the deflections at each location for each loading.

thank you, i will give it a go :)

1. What is shear and bending moment?

Shear and bending moment are two important concepts in structural engineering that describe the internal forces and moments experienced by a beam or structural element.

2. How is shear different from bending moment?

Shear is the force that acts parallel to the cross-section of a beam, while bending moment is the twisting force that causes a beam to bend. Shear and bending moment are related, but they are different types of forces.

3. What causes shear and bending moment in a beam?

Shear and bending moment in a beam are caused by external loads, such as the weight of the structure or applied forces. These forces create stresses within the beam that must be calculated and accounted for in the design of the structure.

4. How are shear and bending moment calculated?

Shear and bending moment can be calculated using the equations of equilibrium and the properties of the beam, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and material properties. Advanced techniques, such as finite element analysis, can also be used to calculate shear and bending moment in more complex structures.

5. Why are shear and bending moment important in structural design?

Shear and bending moment are important in structural design because they help determine the strength and stability of a structure. Designing a structure with appropriate shear and bending moment capacity is crucial for ensuring the safety and longevity of the structure.