Solving the Multiple Op-Amps Problem for Optimal Gain: A Simplified Approach

• Thread starter psycovic23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, to solve the problem of choosing R1 and R2 such that Vo = 10IsRx, you can simplify the equation and solve for the resistors using numerical solvers or graphing software. This approach involves breaking down the equation for Vo and rearranging it in terms of R1 and R2, then solving for the resistors using the simplified equations. This method can help make the problem more manageable and easier to solve. Good luck!
psycovic23
Hey,

I've been working on this problem for a while now to no avail. The question is to choose R1 and R2 such that Vo = 10IsRx.

I've gotten as far as solving for each input voltage for the op amps and their accompanying output voltages, but I end up with a huge expression in terms of Is and Rx that I can't really simplify.

Written out, this is what I have:

[tex]V_o = \frac {20K}{R_2}V_3 + V_2(\frac{20K}{R_2} + 1) = 10I_s R_x[/tex]

where V1 is the input to the first op-amp, or:
[tex]V_1 = 100I_s[/tex]

V3 is output of opamp 1, or:
[tex](\frac{v_1}{R_1})20K + V_1[/tex]

V2 is input to op-amp 2:
[tex]V_2 = (100+R_x)I_s[/tex]

Looking at Vo, I can see that the gain for the second opamp should be [tex](\frac{20K}{R_2} + 1)[/tex] and the first would be [tex](\frac{20K}{R_1}+1)[/tex] but I don't know what to put for those individual gains. Any advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this problem is by doing a bit of simplification. We can start by breaking down the equation for Vo and rearranging it: Vo = 10I_sR_x = \frac {20K}{R_2}V_3 + V_2(\frac{20K}{R_2} + 1) = \frac {20K}{R_2}(V_1/R_1 + V_1) + (100+R_x)I_s(\frac{20K}{R_2} + 1)= \frac {20K}{R_2}V_1 + 20KV_1 + (100+R_x)I_s(\frac{20K}{R_2} + 1)= \frac {20K R_1 + 20K R_2 + (100 + R_x)(20K + R_2)}{R_2} I_sNow, we can solve for the resistors: R_2 = \frac {10I_sR_xR_2 - 20K R_1 - 20K R_2 - 100 R_2 - 10I_sR_x}{20K + R_2}R_1 = \frac {10I_sR_xR_2 - 10I_sR_x - 20K R_2 - 100 R_2 - 20K R_1}{20K}From here, you should be able to solve for your resistors using any numerical solver or graphing software. Hope this helps!

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your progress on this problem. It seems like you have made some good progress in solving for the input and output voltages of the op-amps. However, as you mentioned, the expression for Vo is quite complex and difficult to simplify.

In situations like this, it can be helpful to take a step back and look at the problem from a different perspective. Have you considered using a different approach or method to solve for R1 and R2? Sometimes, a simplified approach can lead to a more manageable solution.

Additionally, have you checked your calculations and equations to make sure they are correct? It's always a good idea to double check your work to ensure accuracy.

I hope this helps and good luck with solving the multiple op-amps problem for optimal gain!

1. What is a multiple op-amps problem?

A multiple op-amps problem refers to a circuit design where multiple operational amplifiers (op-amps) are used in combination to achieve a desired function.

2. What are the common challenges in solving multiple op-amps problems?

The most common challenges in solving multiple op-amps problems include determining the correct number of op-amps to use, understanding the interactions between op-amps, and ensuring stability and accuracy of the circuit.

3. How can I simplify a multiple op-amps problem?

One way to simplify a multiple op-amps problem is to use the concept of virtual ground, where the input and output voltages of each op-amp can be assumed to be the same, thus reducing the number of equations needed to solve the circuit.

4. What are some techniques for optimizing a multiple op-amps circuit?

Some techniques for optimizing a multiple op-amps circuit include using feedback to stabilize the circuit, minimizing the number of components, and choosing op-amps with high gain and low noise.

5. How can I troubleshoot a multiple op-amps circuit that is not functioning correctly?

To troubleshoot a multiple op-amps circuit, you can use techniques such as checking for incorrect connections or faulty components, using simulation software, and adjusting the circuit parameters to improve performance.