Thevenin Equivalence: Is my workings correct?

In summary, Thevenin Equivalence is a theorem that states a linear, two-terminal circuit can be simplified into a voltage source and resistor. To find the Thevenin Equivalent, you need to determine the open-circuit voltage and equivalent resistance of the circuit. This concept applies to both DC and AC circuits. The purpose of using Thevenin Equivalence is to simplify complex circuits for easier analysis and to determine maximum power transfer and loading effects. You can verify your calculations by comparing voltage and current values with a load connected to the original and Thevenin Equivalent circuits.
JohnGaltis

Homework Statement

fmH4gie.png
https://imgur.com/a/XySpV (If above image can't be seen.)

Homework Equations

KCL/KCL
Rth=Vth/I

The Attempt at a Solution

Included in Screenshot.

What I did was Open-Circuited the Load and use Nodal Analysis to find Voc

Then, I shortcircuited the Load to find Isc.

Then I use Isc and Voc to find Rth

Attachments

• fmH4gie.png
    fmH4gie.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 748
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your results look good so far. What did you find for the maximum power?

1. What is Thevenin Equivalence?

Thevenin Equivalence is a theorem in electrical engineering that states that any linear, two-terminal circuit can be represented by a voltage source in series with a resistor. This equivalent circuit has the same voltage-current relationship at the terminals as the original circuit.

2. How do I find the Thevenin Equivalent of a circuit?

To find the Thevenin Equivalent, you need to determine the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance of the circuit. The open-circuit voltage is the voltage at the terminals when no load is connected, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance seen at the terminals when all voltage sources are replaced with short circuits and all current sources are replaced with open circuits.

3. Is Thevenin Equivalence only applicable to DC circuits?

No, Thevenin Equivalence can be applied to both DC and AC circuits as long as the circuit is linear and has only two terminals.

4. What is the purpose of using Thevenin Equivalence?

Thevenin Equivalence allows us to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and a resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand the circuit. It also helps in determining the maximum power transfer and the effects of loading on the circuit.

5. How do I check if my workings for Thevenin Equivalence are correct?

You can verify your calculations by connecting a load to the original circuit and the Thevenin Equivalent circuit and comparing the voltage and current values. They should be the same for both circuits, indicating that your workings are correct.