Calculating Water Volume in a Tank Using Pressure Measurements

In summary, the pressure to the bottom of an aquarium is 3 times greater than the pressure to one side. The aquarium is a cube with a volume of 640 cm3 and is not full of water. To calculate the amount of water in the tank, one must use the formula for pressure at a specific depth and integrate it over the height of the tank, taking into account the variable pressure on each incremental strip. The final result will give the force applied to the entire wall of the aquarium.
Regla said:
Like this? or does the 4 have to be an x?
You can include "L" or you can include "4". Using both is nonsense. As I had suggested in #34, the correct equation is:

$$F_{side} = \rho g L \frac{h^2}{2}$$

You had previously come up with a formula for the force on the base:

Regla said:
I've got the formula for the base of the tank bF=(ro)gxL2

When you wrote that you were apparently using the variable "x" to denote depth. Let us use "h" for depth and reformat that result:

$$F_{base} = \rho g L^2 h$$

Now then. We have formulas for the force on the side and for the force on the base. The problem statement tells us the ratio of those two forces. Can you write down an equation expressing that fact?

Physics news on Phys.org
jbriggs444 said:
Now then. We have formulas for the force on the side and for the force on the base. The problem statement tells us the ratio of those two forces. Can you write down an equation expressing that fact?

Fbase/Fside=3 you mean something like this? ρgL2h/ρgL(h2/2)=3

Regla said:
Yes. You should be able to simplify that significantly.

jbriggs444 said:
Yes. You should be able to simplify that significantly.
so how do we find the volume or height of the water level? since that only tells the ratio.

More calculating. Fewer questions.

jbriggs444 said:
so what does the integral in post #34? h? the height of the water level? or the number that I have to put in the post #37 formula?
but we still get the h in the integral.

In #37 you had an equation:

Regla said:

Solve that equation for h. Or at least simplify it as I had suggested in #38.

Likes Regla
jbriggs444 said:
I get h=0.00991988 or 0.01

Last edited by a moderator:
jbriggs444 said:
In #37 you had an equation:
Solve that equation for h. Or at least simplify it as I had suggested in #38.
if I try to find the pressure to the bottom and side by putting in h I get always the same thing as 2. (ρgL2h/ρgL(h2/2)) It's a bit counter intuitive since I was stated that that should be 3, is the formula for the side equation right?

ρgL2h/ρgL(h2/2)=3

Let's do a tidy re-arrangement of that equation :

ρgL2h = (3/2)ρgLh2

the ρg's cancel so :

L2h = (3/2)Lh2

Divide both sides by hL :

L = (3/2)h

Can you go from there ?

Nidum said:
ρgL2h/ρgL(h2/2)=3

Let's do a tidy re-arrangement of that equation :

ρgL2h = (3/2)ρgLh2

the ρg's cancel so :

L2h = (3/2)Lh2

Divide both sides by hL :

L = (3/2)h

Can you go from there ?
that simplifies a lot of things, thanks, but when I calculate h (if L=40) it I get h=26.6667 or 27. the problem is that if I try to calculate the pressures they don't equal to the statement give in the equation (Pbase/Pside=3)
Pbase=(1000*9.8*402*27)/40*40=264600
Pside=(1000*9.8*40*(272/2)/40*27=132300
264600/132300=2. It doesn't match with the statement given. I feel like there is something wrong with the side force equation.

L is not 40 . Simple numerical mistake I think ?

Nidum said:
L is not 40 . Simple numerical mistake I think ?
If I know that the volume of the tank is 64 dm3 43=64 since that 4 is dm I change it into cm which is 40cm, isn't that right?

Cube root of 640 is roughly 8.62

8.62cm x 8.62 cm x 8.62 cm = 640 cm3 .

Nidum said:
Cube root of 640 is roughly 8.62

8.62cm x 8.62 cm x 8.62 cm = 640 cm3 .

even if I change L with 8.62 and h changes to roughly 5.75 I still get 2 when I calculate the Pressures in the way stated in post #46

Regla said:
even if I change L with 8.62 and h changes to roughly 5.75 I still get 2 when I calculate the Pressures in the way stated in post #46

That is correct . The pressure on the base is twice the average pressure on the side .

Anyway you don't need to work that out except possibly for your own interest . You just need to work out the volume of the water .

Nidum said:
That is correct . The pressure on the base is twice the average pressure on the side .

Anyway you don't need to work that out except possibly for your own interest . You just need to work out the volume of the water .
ohhhhhhh, so that's AVERAGE pressure, makes some sense. But is there any way to make sure that h is actually 5.75?

Work out the actual areas and pressures and pressure forces . If pressure force on the bottom is three times pressure force on the side then you have the right answer for h .

To complete this problem finally what is the actual volume of the water ?

Nidum said:
Work out the actual areas and pressures and pressure forces . If pressure force on the bottom is three times pressure force on the side then you have the right answer for h .

To complete this problem finally what is the actual volume of the water ?
if the height of the water is 5.75 the the volume is 427 cm3 and the weight is 0.427kg. I also have to convert the weight into kilomoles, but I think I can handle it. thanks. If I'll have any problems while going over the whole solution I'll ask here, is that ok?

That's the correct answer for the water volume - good result .

Certainly ok to ask new questions anytime .

Nidum said:

since you're an regular visitor to this forum, what do I do that his post or problem would be shown as solved?

Nidum said:

you made a small mistake (as did I) L is 40cm, 64dm3 is not 640cm3 it's 64000cm3. It's because we're dealing with volume not length.

We are told that the total volume of the cube is 640 cm3 . If that's the volume then length of side is 8.62 cm . I don't know where you get all the other numbers from ?

Regla said:
64dm3 is not 640cm3
In post #1 you wrote 640cm3. Are you now saying that was wrong, that it is 64dm3?

haruspex said:
In post #1 you wrote 640cm3. Are you now saying that was wrong, that it is 64dm3?
It was my mistake. I was stated that the volume is 64dm3 and stupidly stated that it's 640cm3 since I wanted it to be more applicable to people with imperial system to understand, I admit that I made a mistake, but the solution as far as I know doesn't change. it was a stupid mistake.

Regla said:
I made a mistake, L is 40cm, 64dm3 is not 640cm3 it's 64000cm3. It's because we're dealing with volume not length.

Don't worry . Just be more rigorous with you methods when doing future problems .

All done .

Last edited:
Likes Regla