What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 587K views
turbo said:
One of Johnny's best.

I'll see your Johnny (and yeah I like his stuff, thanks) and raise you an Edgar:
4U_c5P-1pyc[/youtube] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U_c5P-1pyc&feature=related
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ThomasT said:
Ah yes, yodeling.

Well thank you, Thomas... :rolleyes:

ThomasT said:
And how much longer it will be allowed to continue.


Parts of this wonderful, traditional, treasure for the ear, could be lost now Thomas... shame.



I'm confident it will live long and prosper... :approve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDDEk2AMJAI&feature=related




OCR
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HEART (LIVE)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcl0Iw3fs8&feature=related

Heart first gained fame in Canada in the early 1970s although the band members were American expats. Singer Ann Wilson was the girlfriend of one of the band members and was later joined by her younger sister, Nancy, in Canada. The Wilson sisters soon became the featured performers of the band. After President Carter granted amnesty to draft evaders, the group moved back to the US. Their music reminds me a bit of Fleetwood Mac, but is more raw and adventurous. Nancy opens this version of Crazy on You with an extended acoustic solo (the reason I posted this). Heart is one of my favorite groups from this period. They are still performing today and their iconic songs are mainstays on classic rock stations.
 
Last edited:
Regarding Dr. D, I noticed this when looking up a Weird Al video

Yankovic received his first exposure via southern California and syndicated comedy radio personality Dr. Demento's radio show, saying "If there hadn't been a Dr. Demento, I'd probably have a real job now."[16] In 1976, Dr. Demento spoke at Yankovic's school where the then 16 year old Yankovic gave him a homemade tape of original and parody songs performed on the accordion in Yankovic's bedroom into a "cheesy little tape recorder". The tape's first song was "Belvedere Cruisin'", about his family's Plymouth Belvedere, was played on Demento's comedy radio show, launching Yankovic's career. Demento said "'Belvedere Cruising' might not have been the very best song I ever heard, but it had some clever lines [...] I put the tape on the air immediately.".[10][17] Yankovic also played at local coffeehouses, saying:


It was sort of like amateur music night, and a lot of people were like wannabe Dan Fogelbergs. They'd get up on stage with their acoustic guitar and do these lovely ballads. And I would get up with my accordion and play the theme from 2001. And people were kind of shocked that I would be disrupting their mellow Thursday night folk fest.[18]

During Yankovic's sophomore year as an architecture student at Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, he became a disc jockey at the university's radio station, KCPR. Yankovic said he had been nicknamed Weird Al by fellow students and "took it on professionally" as his persona for the station.[10] In 1978, he released his first recording (as Alfred Yankovic), "Take Me Down", on the LP, Slo Grown, as a benefit for the Economic Opportunity Commission of San Luis Obispo County. The song mocked famous nearby landmarks such as the fountain toilets at the Madonna Inn.

In mid-1979, shortly before his senior year, "My Sharona" by The Knack was on the charts and Yankovic took his accordion into the restroom across the hall from the radio station (to take advantage of the echo chamber acoustics) and recorded a parody titled "My Bologna". He sent it to Dr. Demento, who played it to good response from listeners. Yankovic met The Knack after a show at his college and introduced himself as the author of "My Bologna". The Knack's lead singer, Doug Fieger, said he liked the song and suggested that Capitol Records vice president Rupert Perry release it as a single.[10] "My Bologna" was released as a single with "School Cafeteria" as its B-side, and the label gave Yankovic a six-month recording contract. Yankovic, who was "only getting average grades" in his architecture degree, began to realize that he might make a career of comedic music.[10]

On September 14, 1980, Yankovic was a guest on the Dr. Demento Show, where he was to record a new parody live. The song was called "Another One Rides the Bus", a parody of Queen's hit, "Another One Bites the Dust". While practicing the song outside the sound booth, he met Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, who told him he was a drummer and agreed to bang on Yankovic's accordion case to help Yankovic keep a steady beat during the song. They rehearsed the song just a few times before the show began.[10] "Another One Rides the Bus" became so popular that Yankovic's first television appearance was a performance of the song on The Tomorrow Show (April 21, 1981) with Tom Snyder. On the show, Yankovic played his accordion, and again, Schwartz banged on the accordion case and provided comical sound effects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"Weird_Al"_Yankovic

Funny, I was a Tom Snyder fan as well. At the time I was working a late schedule and usually watched his show, but I don't remember seeing Weird Al.
 
I know Weird Al from their White & Nerdy song:


But I also remember listening Eat It.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells was in a class by itself.

Tubular Bells, Side 1, Part 1 = Pt. 1 of 3

Tubular Bells, Side 1, Part 2 = Pt 2 of 3

Tubular Bells, Side 1, Part 3 =
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells was in a class by itself.

Tubular Bells, Side 1 =

Tubular Bells, Side 2 =


One of my favorites!

I just read through the wiki entry on Oldfield and discovered some amazing facts.
Mike was only 20 when the album was recorded.
He played more than 20 instruments on the album.
It was the first album released by 23 year old Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Records.
With sales in the tens of millions, it makes me wonder where Branson would be without it.
And what's this? Branson's mother refinanced their home a few years earlier to keep the record company solvent?

So if it weren't for Eve Branson, there would have been no Tubular Bells?
Someone should give that lady a medal.

What a coincidence that I emailed myself a message from work to myself 2 days ago:

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH "Best Songs Ever".
Om to Om said:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLhgb2ZntDw

She has an outstanding voice and the lyrics are solid!

What's the use of two good legs if you only run away
What's the use of the finest voice if you've nothing good to say
What good is strength and muscle if you only push and shove
And what's the use of two good ears if you can't hear those you love
 
"White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" by the Jefferson Airplane pioneered the psychedelic rock revolution which has influenced rock right up the present day. I don't particularly like "White Rabbit" but the sound quality for both songs is better than on other YT postings that I sampled. You might advance to cursor to the second song (3:30)to avoid White Rabbit and some flat 60's humor to get to "Somebody to Love" unless you understandably you want to see more of Grace Slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cfTMdjkYM&feature=rellist&playnext=1&list=PLDA91B5A31F74DD39
 
Last edited:
Pipz, you must hear Regine Velasquez' version of I Dont Wanna Miss a Thing. hehehehe... Awesome... Outstanding... She's from the Philippines... check it out guys... Supreme Belter...
 
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And you still act like you're in Freshman year
What the hell is wrong with me?
My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?


:smile:
 
rootX said:
Nobody likes you when you're 23
And you still act like you're in Freshman year
What the hell is wrong with me?
My friends say I should act my age
What's my age again?
What's my age again?


:smile:

Maybe not the best song ever, but still, it answers your question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIRrmNN_CQ

Heard this for the first time yesterday after they played Birdhouse In Your Soul on the radio. God bless youtube, TMBG, and of course, PF.
 
Best voice I've heard in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qemWRToNYJY
 
My brother likes this song :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHXLpr9wM9o
 
I'm an avid reggae listener, so I'm set and ready for the remarks coming when I post this lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2anaoAxJY_8 P.S: I swear I don't do ganja (cannabis) or anything like that lol. Peace,
ArcherofScience.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Archer, to make a youtube video show up:

Do [ YOUTUBE ] ... [ /YOUTUBE ] (without the spaces)

In the place of "..." you should post the code of the video (the thing that comes after v= ).

I edited it so that it works now. Hit "QUOTE" or "EDIT" on the above post to see what I did.
 
ArcherofScience said:
P.S: I swear I don't do ganja (cannabis) or anything like that lol.
Peace,
ArcherofScience.
It's ok, nobody's judging you here, and I don't think that a swat team will be sent to your house on the suspicion that you might be smoking a doobie.

I don't smoke the stuff either, although I do like the smell of it now and then (wafting from my neighbor's house).

Anyway, nice tune. That sort of music is so relaxing, in and of itself, that no drugs are required.

And thanks to micromass for clarifying posting protocols.

EDIT: I should add that it's good to also include the complete youtube url below the video, so that people can download it directly from youtube if they want to.
 
Last edited:
micromass said:
Archer, to make a youtube video show up:

Do [ YOUTUBE ] ... [ /YOUTUBE ] (without the spaces)

In the place of "..." you should post the code of the video (the thing that comes after v= ).

I edited it so that it works now. Hit "QUOTE" or "EDIT" on the above post to see what I did.

Oh thanks sir, see I've been on another forum for so long, that I'm used to their url posting system lol. All i had to do was put the youtube tags and that was it lol. I see now here its different, thanks on the clarification and help. :)


It's ok, nobody's judging you here, and I don't think that a swat team will be sent to your house on the suspicion that you might be smoking a doobie.

I don't smoke the stuff either, although I do like the smell of it now and then (wafting from my neighbor's house).

Anyway, nice tune. That sort of music is so relaxing, in and of itself, that no drugs are required.

And thanks to micromass for clarifying posting protocols.

EDIT: I should add that it's good to also include the complete youtube url below the video, so that people can download it directly from youtube if they want to.


Cool that you liked it, :D. Yep it is relaxing, was introduced to reggae last year, and ever since been hooked on it. I have some friends who like it as well, so that way I get the coverage on the best reggae singles out from all over the world :). I'll put the link in a sec.

Peace,
ArcherofIslam
 
Brian Culbertson- On My Mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCw-vcq2n4k

His music is flawless. Love you Brian! :smile:

http://www.brianculbertson.com/Content/music.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that was really good smooth jazz. Never heard of him. Thanks.

EDIT: Just listened to So Good, great tune. He plays trombone too. Great musicians all.
 
Last edited:
drizzle said:
My brother likes this song :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHXLpr9wM9o

I like this song also.