What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeE7QJmcI3U
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Put this in your pipe and smoke it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gad said:
I...just..what...how is... .. . No comment.

I had a perfect "WTF" face when that ...umm... "song" came on. And I'd just been listening to black metal, too. :smile:

TMFKAN64 - either you're the most ironic guy in this forum, or your taste in music needs some serious recalibrating. :biggrin:
 
You may have never heard of Laura Nyro (1947-1997), but you've almost certainly heard her songs if you've been listening to popular music during the past 50 years. She had a number of hits, performed by others. To name a few: 5th Dimension (Wedding Day Blues, Blowing Away, Stoned Soul Picnic, Save the Country), Three Dog Night (Eli's Coming), Peter, Paul & Mary and later Blood Sweat & Tears (And When I Die), Barbra Streisand (Stoney End). She was finally inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame last year; long overdue in the opinion of many including me. It's not that she didn't have a stage presence as a performer in her own right. Judge for yourself. Nevertheless, although she recorded most of her hits herself, she never had a major hit single of her own. I don't know why. It remains a mystery to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjdowef1oKE
 
Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
I had a perfect "WTF" face when that ...umm... "song" came on. And I'd just been listening to black metal, too. :smile:

TMFKAN64 - either you're the most ironic guy in this forum, or your taste in music needs some serious recalibrating. :biggrin:

I made a similar "Gad" type comment, quite a while ago.

I will, for the sake of everyone's acoustic sanity, not share the "That sounds like 100 cats scratching a chalkboard!" link.
 
TMFKAN64 said:
The best song ever is "Paralyzed" by the Legendary Stardust Cowboy.

TMFKAN64 said:
Apologies, I didn't include a link there:


This is so awesome.

One interesting comment:
"Lyrics do exist, although they've never been compiled AFAIK. Supposedly the idea is Dylan singing after his motorcycle accident"

It makes so much sense.

-Dave K
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DiracPool said:


Put this in your pipe and smoke it.


Good god. I now understand Kai, the homefree dude.

(Om gets halfway through the video, and sees something, that sends him into a '60's flashback...(3:25)!)

Oh good god. Someone mentioned at work last week that a 60+ year old male co-worker wore "Daisy Dukes". I had not a clue what that meant. These people, half my age, were kind enough to explain what they were.

ps. I was either too young, or too old, to get into the Dead. But I liked this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8zCANDDO70

Bin gettin' by, ever since this song came out. :smile:​


-----------------------------------
"Touch of Grey" is a 1987 single by the Grateful Dead, and is the band's only commercial hit. The song is known for its refrain "I will get by / I will survive". It combines non sequitur lyrics with a pop tempo. The music was written by Jerry Garcia, and the words are by Robert Hunter. It was also released as a music video, the first one by the Grateful Dead.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DiracPool said:
I like to sit by the lake by my house in Tacoma and watch the raindrops create interference patterns on the surface. I often have this song playing in my mp3 player while I do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axzu...hLPQx-bzO70-ErOJ42-f-OA&feature=results_video

Hey there, neighbor! I work in Tacoma and live in Olympia :biggrin:.

Now for something completely different.

WARNING this video is profane. And profound. I think it captures the Zeitgeist of the generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes

 
Last edited by a moderator:
This one is so good. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqrhvLKMK4
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wG6Cgmgn5U

Full Screen​

---------------------
My boss asked me if I was off my meds the other day...
"I've been off my meds my entire life...", was my response...
 
OmCheeto said:
---------------------
My boss asked me if I was off my meds the other day...
"I've been off my meds my entire life...", was my response...



:smile:
 
OmCheeto said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wG6Cgmgn5U

Full Screen​

---------------------
My boss asked me if I was off my meds the other day...
"I've been off my meds my entire life...", was my response...


I'm a big fan of Joe Cocker and I've posted some of his earlier work here. He's older, heavier and most of the hair is gone, but he still rocks. Also, it seems age has "cured" his spasticity.

This 2002 live recording of "Unchain My Heart" in Cologne features, I believe, Bruce Eskovitz on sax. Bruce was the sax man on Joe's 2002 album "Respect Yourself". Someone correct me if I'm wrong re this performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtaN6tHorgY
 
How about Joe Cocker's keyboardist in Mad Dogs and Englishmen?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
DiracPool said:
How about Joe Cocker's keyboardist in Mad Dogs and Englishmen?



Yes. Leon Russell was in a number of Joe's early recordings with "Mad Dogs...". He was (he's now retired) a musician's musician: songwriter, singer, pianist, guitarist, arranger. Here he performs with Joe in "The Letter" (ca 1970) looking a bit "mellow". The sax man here is Bobby Keys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5rMauzx5f4
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not the best song ever, but a nice one. The movie "Our Man in Havana" has Cuban music playing through most of it. This song is played at various times. The movie was written by Graham Greene and directed by Carol Reed, the same team that made "The Third Man" which had zither music playing though it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-2SsR6UixE
 
When ever I come up with a new TOE, I like to put this song on...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I recorded the following movie, when it was first released. I remember the version of "I get by with a little help with my friends", was the original version by the Beatles. Unfortunately, that was nearly 30 years ago, and I'm sure my brother has by now, thrown that old magnavox tape into the garbage.

I also almost remembered to go see Ursula at the bookstore last month, but life got in the way.

sorry. too many cliches. long day. long life.

listen to the violence/symphony at the end of the sleep sequence song (~3:20)... they will put you to sleep.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsPnMtEx6Lo

as you wake up, to Nirvana.







This scene is NOT rare.. This is from the DVD release of this movie.. What's rare which I have on VHS is thee original broadcast of this movie where in this scene thee original Beatles recording of A little help from my friends is used. This one they have someone else singing it so they didn't have to pay so much when they put out the DVD of it..
 
Sometimes I look out across the great divide, formulas and symbols running through my head, the answer, it seems so near, so close, like I can touch it...yes, that's it...I reach out frantically to grab the gold cup, the theory of everything, only to have it evaporate once again in a mirage...I just want to find my way home.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
See if you can spot this one...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Recently, I've become intrigued about why certain types of songs can totally "possess" a certain type of person, while other people are indifferent to it, or even dislike it and want to turn it off. What's going on deep in the human psyche that makes this so? Some types of music are a thoroughly addictive drug to some people, but other people hate it.

If any psychologists or neurobiologists are reading this, can you shed any light on this question? (I have almost zero background in these areas.)

Anyway, here's an example. The song linked below (Cruel Sister by The Pentangle) is one that totally transfixes me. When the album of the same name was released, I loved it, but it didn't do very well commercially. If you dislike the folk-rock genre that Pentangle pioneered, then you probably won't like it. Yet, I can play it again and again without getting bored and its very hard for me to stop playing it. In that sense, it's heavily addictive for me, though probably not for many of you who might now listen to it out of curiosity. I can't figure out what's going on in my head that makes it so, and I'd appreciate insights if anyone can offer such.

Here it is...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
strangerep said:
Anyway, here's an example. The song linked below (Cruel Sister by The Pentangle) is one that totally transfixes me.

I got bored with this song at about 1:57. ? It just keeps repeating?...

I think you're transfixed with the grammaphone in the picture and the 19th century theme? I'm forcing myself right now to listen to the rest of it.
 
DiracPool said:
I got bored with this song at about 1:57. ? It just keeps repeating?...

I think you're transfixed with the grammaphone in the picture and the 19th century theme?
Nah, I bought the original album on vinyl when it first came out. I find it hypnotic. That's kinda why I posted my question about it. I get a similar feeling with some of Pentangle's other tracks (though, curiously, nowhere near 100% of their stuff). But other people totally don't.
I'm forcing myself right now to listen to the rest of it.
Oh, don't bother if it doesn't grab you. I had a feeling you wouldn't like it.

And... just to get more data [ :- )]... what do you think of the final song "Into The West" at the end of Lord of the Rings part III -- Return of the King?
(I'll find a link if you don't already know it.)
 
Last edited:
What's going on deep in the human psyche that makes this so?

If any psychologists or neurobiologists are reading this, can you shed any light on this question?

For this song I would say it is probably a tumor in your superior temporal lobe, possibly just caudal to the Sylvian fissure. I can't think of any other reason you'd be transfixed with that dysphony...:-p