Which kind of graphing calculator should I buy?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's dilemma in choosing a calculator for their upcoming courses in algebra, chemistry, and physics. They mentioned that their teachers have stopped providing TI-83 calculators and their dad has suggested the HP 50g, while the teachers use TIs. The conversation also touched on the speaker's preference for the TI83 and their opinion on the Casio CFX-9850. The speaker concludes by recommending the use of the TI-83.
stephen92
I'm having a bit of a problem with choosing a calculator, I am taking algebra 2 and Honors Chem and plan to take calculus AP Chem and Physics next year. The teachers have stopped supplying the TI-83s and I need to know what to invest in. My dad has insited I go with the HP 50g as he is an enginner but all the teachers use TI's. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
TI-83 will serve you well all the way up to Calculus 3 :-]

You have a long ways to go, suggest you stick to using your brain instead of having a powerful calculator.

Cost you around $50 at most!

The HP looks pretty slick. Never used it. I personally love my TI83. I also have a Casio CFX-9850, and found it weak in comparison to the TI.
This is just my opinion.

1. What are the main differences between a scientific and graphing calculator?

A scientific calculator is designed for basic math and scientific functions, while a graphing calculator has more advanced features such as graphing capabilities, equation solving, and programming abilities.

2. What types of classes or exams typically require a graphing calculator?

Graphing calculators are often required for advanced math and science courses, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. They may also be required for standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams.

3. Are there any specific brands or models that are recommended for graphing calculators?

Some popular and highly rated brands for graphing calculators include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. Some recommended models include the TI-84 Plus, Casio FX-9750GII, and HP Prime.

4. What are the advantages of using a graphing calculator compared to a regular calculator?

A graphing calculator allows for more complex calculations and graphing of functions. It also has the ability to store and recall equations, making it useful for solving multiple equations or large systems of equations.

5. How much should I expect to pay for a graphing calculator?

The price of a graphing calculator can vary depending on the brand and model, but generally they range from $50 to $200. It is important to consider the features and functions you need before making a purchase to ensure you are getting the best value for your money.