Will this electronic circuit work? (back-to-back polar capacitors)

In summary, the conversation revolves around using an AC rated capacitor with appropriate voltage and current ratings for a circuit. However, it is mentioned that the circuit may not work as intended due to the absence of a load. There is also a warning about the dangerous nature of the circuit and the need for safety considerations. The conversation also touches upon using back-to-back polar capacitors, with the reminder that the overall capacitance is half of each individual capacitor. Additional information on this topic is provided through a link.
John1397
TL;DR Summary
All I need is for someone to look at my schematic and tell me if this circuit will work. Thanks.
All I need is for someone to look at my schematic and tell me if this circuit will work. Thanks.

Attachments

• Will it work.PNG
    Will it work.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 207
Physics news on Phys.org
Get an AC rated capacitor with appropriate voltage and current ratings.

No, it will not work because there is no load.
If all you want to do is cook the capacitors you may be lucky.

John1397 said:
Summary:: All I need is for someone to look at my schematic and tell me if this circuit will work.
Might work great as a one-time small explosive device.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

John1397 said:
Summary:: All I need is for someone to look at my schematic and tell me if this circuit will work. Thanks.

@John1397 -- Please don't try to re-start your locked thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/tv-capacitor-instead-of-motor-capacitor.1004111/
(that is against the PF Rules).

On the basic question of whether back-to-back polar caps can be used in AC situations, the simple answer is yes as long as you realize that the overall capacitance is half of the capacitance of each capacitor. There are more considerations, and since you are dealing with a dangerous circuit there are also safety considerations. This thread will remail closed on that basis.

More info on back-to-back polar capacitor applications here:

https://cie-wc.edu/1418-1Experiment8UsingCapacitorsina-cckts05-15-2012.pdf

Likes Rive

1. Will the polarity of the capacitors affect the functionality of the circuit?

The polarity of the capacitors is crucial in determining the functionality of the circuit. If the polarities are reversed, it can cause the circuit to malfunction or even damage the components. It is important to ensure that the polarities are correctly aligned when using back-to-back polar capacitors.

2. Can I use non-polar capacitors instead of back-to-back polar capacitors?

No, non-polar capacitors cannot be used as a substitute for back-to-back polar capacitors. Back-to-back polar capacitors are specifically designed to handle reverse polarity and provide better performance in certain circuits. Using non-polar capacitors can lead to circuit failure or damage.

3. How do I calculate the capacitance of the back-to-back polar capacitors?

The total capacitance of back-to-back polar capacitors is calculated by adding the individual capacitance values of each capacitor. For example, if two 10μF capacitors are connected in series, the total capacitance will be 20μF.

4. Can I use back-to-back polar capacitors in AC circuits?

No, back-to-back polar capacitors are not suitable for use in AC circuits. They are designed to work in DC circuits and may not function properly in AC circuits. It is important to use the appropriate type of capacitor for the specific circuit.

5. How do I determine the voltage rating for back-to-back polar capacitors?

The voltage rating for back-to-back polar capacitors should be equal to or greater than the maximum voltage that will be applied across the capacitors in the circuit. It is important to choose capacitors with appropriate voltage ratings to avoid damaging the circuit.