Double Integral Cartesian to Polar Coordinates

In summary, the problem involves using polar coordinates to evaluate the double integral of 1/(1+x^2+y^2) over the region bounded by the circle x^2+y^2=4 and y=0 to y=sqrt(2). By converting the limits to polar coordinates and graphing the region, the r limits are determined to be 0 to 2.
jerzey101

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to evaluate:
sqrt(2)0sqrt(4-y2)y 1/(1+x2+y2) dxdy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I graphed it and I see r is the part of the elipse sqrt(4-y2) and goes from 0 to ∏/4. I'm not sure how to make the bounds for r or how to covert the function to polar. Does it just convert to 1/(1+r2), then add the conversion factor r?
∏/40?? 1/(1+r2) r drdθ

Physics news on Phys.org
Use LaTeX formatting to make your integrals clearer and easier to understand.

Your double integral looks like this:
[tex]\int^{y=\sqrt 2}_{y=0} \int^{x=\sqrt {4-y^2}}_{x=y} \frac{1}{1+x^2+y^2} \,.dxdy[/tex]
You have to plot the limits to see the area required and hence deduce the correct polar limits.
First, convert: [itex]x=\sqrt {4-y^2}[/itex] into a simpler form. This gives you: [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex], which is a circle with center (0,0) and radius = 2. The other limits are obvious.

I have attached the graph. If you are having trouble deducing the region required from the limits, save the graph, edit/shade it to show the required area and then attach it to your reply.

Attachments

• area.png
    area.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
I'm just not sure what to put for the r limits. I know it is 0 to the circle x2+y2=4. So is it just 0 to 2?

Attachments

• area.png
    area.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 545
jerzey101 said:
I'm just not sure what to put for the r limits. I know it is 0 to the circle x2+y2=4. So is it just 0 to 2?

You're correct. :smile:

Thanks!
I think I figured it all out now. Thanks again.

What is a double integral in Cartesian coordinates?

A double integral in Cartesian coordinates is a mathematical concept used to find the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional coordinate system. It involves calculating the surface area of a function over a given region in the x-y plane.

What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are an alternative coordinate system to Cartesian coordinates, where a point is represented by its distance from the origin (known as the radial coordinate) and its angle from a fixed reference axis (known as the angular coordinate).

How do you convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian to polar coordinates, you can use the following equations:
r = √(x^2 + y^2)
θ = tan^-1 (y/x)
where r is the radial coordinate and θ is the angular coordinate.

What is the purpose of converting from Cartesian to polar coordinates?

Converting from Cartesian to polar coordinates can make it easier to solve certain mathematical problems, particularly those involving circular or symmetric shapes. It can also provide a different perspective and make it easier to visualize certain concepts.

What is the relationship between double integrals in Cartesian and polar coordinates?

The relationship between double integrals in Cartesian and polar coordinates is that they can be used interchangeably to calculate the same volume under a surface. However, the limits of integration and the integrand may differ depending on the coordinate system used.