1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral Cartesian to Polar Coordinates

1. May 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use polar coordinates to evaluate:
    sqrt(2)0sqrt(4-y2)y 1/(1+x2+y2) dxdy

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I graphed it and I see r is the part of the elipse sqrt(4-y2) and goes from 0 to ∏/4. I'm not sure how to make the bounds for r or how to covert the function to polar. Does it just convert to 1/(1+r2), then add the conversion factor r?
    ∏/40?? 1/(1+r2) r drdθ

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2012 #2

sharks

Gold Member

Use LaTeX formatting to make your integrals clearer and easier to understand.

Your double integral looks like this:
    [tex]\int^{y=\sqrt 2}_{y=0} \int^{x=\sqrt {4-y^2}}_{x=y} \frac{1}{1+x^2+y^2} \,.dxdy[/tex]
    You have to plot the limits to see the area required and hence deduce the correct polar limits.
    First, convert: [itex]x=\sqrt {4-y^2}[/itex] into a simpler form. This gives you: [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex], which is a circle with center (0,0) and radius = 2. The other limits are obvious.

I have attached the graph. If you are having trouble deducing the region required from the limits, save the graph, edit/shade it to show the required area and then attach it to your reply.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  4. May 6, 2012 #3
    I'm just not sure what to put for the r limits. I know it is 0 to the circle x2+y2=4. So is it just 0 to 2?

Attached Files:

5. May 6, 2012 #4

sharks

Gold Member

You're correct. :smile:

6. May 6, 2012 #5
    Thanks!!
    I think I figured it all out now. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook