Electric Circuit and Internal Resistance Lab

In summary, a lab was performed to design an electric circuit on paper and calculate the current, power, and voltage for each resistor. The actual measurements from the built circuit were slightly lower than the predicted values, possibly due to internal resistance of the battery. To calculate this, use V=IR with the actual total voltage and total current. It is also important to consider the potential impact of imperfect meters and to check them against other references.
jeff876

Homework Statement

I performed a lab where we designed an electric circuit on paper and then calculated the Current, Power, and Voltage for each of the resistors. We used one power supply. Then we built the circuit we designed and then measured the actual Current Power and Voltage for the it using a multimeter. However, all the values for the actual measurements are just slightly lower than the numbers of the predicted values. I think it has to do with the internal resistance of the battery, but i am not sure. Would i calculate it using V=IR and use the actual total voltage and total current?

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, use the actual values in your calculation. A good idea to have thought of internal resistance - and to calculate it.

You might also want to mention imperfect meters. Current meters have to be inserted in the circuit and they add resistance to it. Voltmeters have less than infinite resistance and draw some extra current.

Meters can be out of whack, too. Not a bad idea to check your meter against another one in the lab or some reference voltage such as a disposable AA battery.

Based on your description, it is likely that the difference between the predicted and actual values is due to the internal resistance of the battery. When calculating the predicted values, it is important to consider the internal resistance of the power supply, as it can affect the overall circuit performance. To calculate the internal resistance, you can use the equation V=IR, where V is the total voltage measured from the power supply, I is the total current measured from the circuit, and R is the internal resistance. Once you have calculated the internal resistance, you can subtract it from the total resistance in your circuit to get a more accurate prediction of the actual values. It is also important to note that the internal resistance of the battery may vary depending on the age and condition of the battery, so it is important to measure and account for it in your calculations. Overall, considering the internal resistance of the battery is crucial in accurately predicting and measuring the values in an electric circuit.

FAQ: Electric Circuit and Internal Resistance Lab

1. What is the purpose of this lab?

The purpose of this lab is to investigate the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electric circuit, as well as to determine the internal resistance of a power source.

2. What materials are needed for this lab?

The materials needed for this lab include a power source (such as a battery), resistors, wires, a voltmeter, and an ammeter. Optional materials may include a multimeter and a breadboard.

3. How do you calculate the internal resistance of a power source?

The internal resistance of a power source can be calculated by measuring the voltage and current of the circuit with and without the power source, and then using the formula R = (V1-V2)/I, where V1 is the voltage with the power source, V2 is the voltage without the power source, and I is the current.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end to end, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected across each other, creating multiple paths for the current to flow. In series circuits, the current is the same throughout the circuit, while in parallel circuits, the voltage is the same across each component.

5. How does the resistance of a circuit affect the current?

According to Ohm's Law, as resistance increases, current decreases. This means that in a circuit with higher resistance, less current will flow. Inversely, in a circuit with lower resistance, more current will flow.