High pressure gases specific heat

In summary, specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. For high pressure gases, this refers to the amount of heat energy required to increase the temperature of the gas by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. High pressure can significantly affect the specific heat of gases, making it more difficult to increase their temperature and resulting in higher amounts of heat energy needed. High pressure gases with specific heat properties have various real-world applications in industrial processes and gas storage. The specific heat of high pressure gases can be calculated using a formula that takes into account changes in heat energy, temperature, and mass. It is also important to note that the specific heat of high pressure
stefaan
I want to calculate the reaction heat in a ammonia convertor but I need some
specific heats of N2,NH3,Ar and CH4 at 500°C and 200bar. I could find data at 500°C but not at that pressure.

thanks Stefaan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Stefaan,
I was going to suggest the NIST website but I see they don't go up that high in pressure for ammonia at least.
http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/

Values below are in Btu/lbm-F.

Fluid / Cv / Cp
Nitrogen / .1977 / .2738
Ammonia / .6080 / .7906
Argon / .07550 / .1314
CH4 / .8018 / .9490

I understand your need for specific heat data at a high pressure of 200 bar for your ammonia converter calculations. I would recommend looking into thermodynamic databases or conducting experiments to obtain this data. Additionally, you can use thermodynamic equations and principles to estimate the specific heats at 200 bar based on the data you have at 500°C. You can also consult with experts in the field for their insights and expertise. It is important to have accurate and reliable data for your calculations, so I encourage you to continue your search for this information. Best of luck in your research.

1. What is the definition of specific heat for high pressure gases?

Specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. In the case of high pressure gases, specific heat refers to the amount of heat energy needed to increase the temperature of a gas at high pressure by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass.

2. How does high pressure affect the specific heat of gases?

High pressure can significantly increase the specific heat of gases. This is because at high pressures, gas molecules are closer together and have less space to move, making it more difficult to increase their temperature. This results in higher amounts of heat energy being needed to raise the temperature of the gas by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass.

3. What are some real-world applications of high pressure gases and their specific heat?

High pressure gases with specific heat properties are used in various industrial processes, such as in compressed air systems, gas turbines, and chemical manufacturing. They are also used in high-pressure gas cylinders for storage and transportation of gases.

4. How is the specific heat of high pressure gases calculated?

The specific heat of high pressure gases can be calculated using the formula: specific heat = (change in heat energy) / (change in temperature x mass). This calculation takes into account the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a gas at high pressure by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass.

5. Can the specific heat of high pressure gases change?

Yes, the specific heat of high pressure gases can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and type of gas. For example, the specific heat of a gas can increase as pressure increases, but it can also decrease as temperature increases. Additionally, different gases have different specific heat values, which can also change with pressure and temperature variations.