Random Thoughts Part 4 - Split Thread

In summary, Danger has a small crush on Swedish TV, and thinks that the russians are bad arses. He also mentions that taking a math class at 8:00 isdestructive.
  • #1,751
You guys are so punny.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,752
The problem with punography is that the plot is always a joke.

• #1,753
k6wOF.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and Ibix
  • #1,754
lisab said:
Last Christmas, I put a whole bag of dried sour cherries in a Tupperware container, covered them with dark rum, sealed the top, and slid the container into the deep, dark recesses of my refrigerator. I then forgot about them until the next time I cleaned out my fridge, which happens (maybe) quarterly.

By then they were lovely, exquisite, spectacular, and a hundred other words I could steal from a thesaurus. We ate them with ice cream, in rice pudding, or just plain.

Today I bought rum and a bag of dried cherries. Knowing how yummy the end product is, I don't know if I can wait several months. And I'm not sure I have to - they might be just as good in a week.

Experiment is ON!

lisab, you are making my mouth water, but i am now teetotal so no dark rum for me now.

• #1,755
I watched Skyfall for the first time last night.

All Q issues to Bond is a pistol and a location sender, so later in the film, on his own, Bond digs out the old gizmo-loaded Aston Martin from Goldfinger. A nice touch.

• #1,756
reminds me of my cat...:oldlove:
9ef92ccf-974d-48fb-97d4-62d46d41a6e6.jpg

Likes Silicon Waffle and Borg
  • #1,757
I am virtually face-blind and have a hard time noticing people that I know outside of where I normally meet them. My wife is the exact opposite and never ceases to amaze me with her ability to recognize people. We went to a party last night and met another couple for the first time. As soon as we were introduced, she said "I remember seeing you in line at the grocery store last week on Father's Day." :wideeyed:

• #1,758
Borg said:
I am virtually face-blind and have a hard time noticing people that I know outside of where I normally meet them. My wife is the exact opposite and never ceases to amaze me with her ability to recognize people. We went to a party last night and met another couple for the first time. As soon as we were introduced, she said "I remember seeing you in line at the grocery store last week on Father's Day." :wideeyed:

Something similar with me. Let's just say we should both skip careers in public relations; I have learned through the grapevine that some people think I am a snob, or worse, because I don't acknowledge many of the people I have met. Not a good trait to have.

Likes Borg
  • #1,759
WWGD said:
Something similar with me. Let's just say we should both skip careers in public relations; I have learned through the grapevine that some people think I am a snob, or worse, because I don't acknowledge many of the people I have met. Not a good trait to have.
My wife has told me that I sometimes come across this way to other people as well.

Likes WWGD
  • #1,760
Just finished playing "Her Story." Now I can't get the song "Dreadful Wind and Rain" out of my mind for some reason.

(I think it was worth the $5 price of the game on Steam.)

• #1,761
I got passed by a GTO going 25 over the speed limit this morning and watched him run a red light a little later. I suddenly thought that GTO must stand for Gets Ticketed Often. :oldtongue:

Likes lisab
  • #1,762
Where is everyone ?

• #1,763
Everywhere and now.here.

Likes lisab and Silicon Waffle
  • #1,764
I thought I was in the south east of England. It's possible I've got mixed up somehow and accidentally ended up in an oven, though. In a closed lift I don't think you could tell the difference.

• #1,765
Drop a pen and calculate ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}## and see if its ~ 9.8 m/s2

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,766
Silicon Waffle said:
Where is everyone ?

I am here--but I am not queer--get used to it.
Enigman said:

But if it is not ## 9.8 m/s^2## the pen may not drop, or drop at a rate different from the usual.

• #1,767
Enigman said:
I dropped a pen. It melted.

• #1,768
Ibix said:
I dropped a pen. It melted.
I melted a pen. It dripped.

I dripped a pen. It made a spot.

I spotted a pen. It had dropped.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,769
I just paid my electric bill. Over the last 32 days I singlehandedly used 88 kilowatt*hours of electricity.

How many did you use?

• #1,770
I will check. I have heard that turning off surge protectors while not at home ( or while just not using electricity) will cut down on electricity use. I started checking a few months back, but I don't have monthly data to tell whether this has worked or not. I have also found that many problems with electronics disappear by turning them off and restarting them.

• #1,771
The only thing harder than telling a guy he has a Hitler thing going with his mustache is telling the same thing to a woman.

Likes Evo
  • #1,772
WWGD said:
I am here--but I am not queer--get used to it...
I can't model queerness by any mathematical equations. :DD

• #1,773
Enigman said:
Everywhere and now.here.
It is true, if the forums become deserted for a couple of hours, that it may look like a ghost town. It's ok everyone was busy with other things.

• #1,774
Silicon Waffle said:
I can't model queerness by any mathematical equations. :DD
Sorry, it is a common slogan here. Now that you mention modelling, it is interesting that my great-great-great grandfather ( he is really my great-great grandfather, but he was really great ) could arrive at
the equation ## \frac {E}{mc} =c ## , but did not have the tools to solve for E ##!. He was so close...

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,775
WWGD said:
I will check. I have heard that turning off surge protectors while not at home ( or while just not using electricity) will cut down on electricity use. I started checking a few months back, but I don't have monthly data to tell whether this has worked or not. I have also found that many problems with electronics disappear by turning them off and restarting them.
I don't think electronics account for much electricity use. Electric heaters and stoves are the main culprits, or, any high wattage devices that get used a lot. I have gas heat and stove, so I suppose my fridge uses the most juice.

• #1,776
zoobyshoe said:
I don't think electronics account for much electricity use. Electric heaters and stoves are the main culprits, or, any high wattage devices that get used a lot. I have gas heat and stove, so I suppose my fridge uses the most juice.

You may be right, but if you have a few electronics, those small bits add up over time.

• #1,777
zoobyshoe said:
I just paid my electric bill. Over the last 32 days I singlehandedly used 88 kilowatt*hours of electricity.

How many did you use?

612!

I'm feeling like a pig. :redface:

• #1,778
OmCheeto said:
612!

I'm feeling like a pig. :redface:
You need to remember that in California, weather is usually between 70-80 degrees most of the year, so little need for heating/cooling.

• #1,779
zoobyshoe said:

Ah ha! How is your water heated?

• #1,780
WWGD said:
You may be right, but if you have a few electronics, those small bits add up over time.
Hehe, you're right. I just checked some laptop transformers and they draw more amps than I ever realized.

OmCheeto said:
612!
WOW!

• #1,781
OmCheeto said:
Ah ha! How is your water heated?
Natural gas.

• #1,782
WWGD said:
You need to remember that in California, weather is usually between 70-80 degrees most of the year, so little need for heating/cooling.
I hear that part of California is still suffering from a long lasting drought. No farmers can survive.

• #1,783
Silicon Waffle said:
I hear that part of California is still suffering from a long lasting drought. No farmers can survive.
Most of the Southwest of the US is just a desert, with contraptions to bring in water. Watch the movie "Chinatown" to see the wars that went on to provide L.A (maybe all of So. Cal ) with water. Montezuma's revenge, I guess.

Likes Silicon Waffle
  • #1,784
WWGD said:
Overall energy consumption goes up here in the summer. Many don't bother with heat in the winter but most indulge in some kind of cooling.

• #1,785
zoobyshoe said:
Overall energy consumption goes up here in the summer. Many don't bother with heat in the winter but most indulge in some kind of cooling.
But I doubt you get many of the brutal 85+ degree-days weather with high humidity that you get in many other places in summer, do you?