Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured Stargazing Solar imaging and techniques

1. Nov 22, 2017 #81

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@Stavros Kiri

The next things that is done, and it's next on my list for experiments is.... doing small video clips, 500 frames or so
    then these are stacked in programs like Autostakkert! 2 or Registax, it picks out the best 10 - 20% of the frames and stacks them

Dave

2. Nov 23, 2017 #82
    That would be neat! I'm looking forward to it.

3. Nov 23, 2017 #83

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Sun 24 Nov 2017

trying a B&W version instead of colour .... sort of have the feeling it gives better contrast of the visible structure ?

171124 Ha.jpg

A reasonable prominence upper left, a sprinkling of smaller ones elsewhere

some small filaments here and there but the major feature is the long lasting filament

Dave

PS .... Just to clarify ... I didn't image this in B&W ( greyscale) It was imaged in colour and then fully desaturated in Lightroom whilst doing the other processing edits

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. Dec 9, 2017 at 11:30 PM #84

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Sun 10 Dec 2017, 05:10 UT

Several really nice prominences on the sun today .... was first chance to do imaging in over 2 weeks ....
    Has been a mix of nothing much to image and when there was, it was cloudy for me
    But finally a clear sky and good prom's

Capture_0001SM.jpg

During the 30 mins I was observing/imaging, that smaller upper right one disappeared
    and the lower left one, I could see changes as material was falling back towards the sun's limb

Dave

5. Dec 10, 2017 at 12:45 AM #85

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

full disk image from the 10 Dec

171210 Cap18sm.jpg

6. Dec 10, 2017 at 10:57 AM #86
    Are these stacked or just single images?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted