Thermodynamics question: density, linear expansion and temperature

In summary: ChetFormula: Δρ=3αρΔTΔρ=3*2.5*10-5*1250*(25-10)Δρ=1.406 Kgm3As temperature increases, volume increases. As volume increases, density decreases.Thus as temperature increases, density decreases.Therefore the final density at 25°C=initial density - final densityThis looks correct to me.
Patricia Reid
An object has a density of 1250 kg m3 at 10C and a coefficient of linear expansion of α = 2.5 × 10−5 1 /K . What is the object’s density when the temperature is 25C?

I have tried using the equation ΔL=αL° ΔT but this equation has nothing to do with density.

the answer should be: 1248.6

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Patricia Reid said:
An object has a density of 1250 kg m3

This is a volume mass density, which should have units of mass / volume. The expansion of the object is not restricted to one dimension.

Patricia Reid said:
I have tried using the equation ΔL=αL° ΔT but this equation has nothing to do with density.

This is not true. Any change in dimensions will be accompanied by a change in density. Why is this? Is the object's mass changing? How are density and volume related? Is there an equation that fits better for a change in volume?

Good luck.

uselesslemma said:
This is a volume mass density, which should have units of mass / volume. The expansion of the object is not restricted to one dimension.
This is not true. Any change in dimensions will be accompanied by a change in density. Why is this? Is the object's mass changing? How are density and volume related? Is there an equation that fits better for a change in volume?

Good luck.

Ok thanks! So you could use the equation β=3α and then use the volume expansion formula. The equation that relates density to volume is ρ=M/V... but you don;t know what the mass is.

Patricia Reid said:
The equation that relates density to volume is ρ=M/V... but you don;t know what the mass is.

Did you try expressing the volume expansion formula in terms of ρ instead of V? You should find a result that is independent of the object's mass.

[QUO TE="uselesslemma, post: 5061484, member: 542831"]Did you try expressing the volume expansion formula in terms of ρ instead of V? You should find a result that is independent of the object's mass.[/QUOTE]

Ok so you go...
V=3αVΔT
=3αΔTM/ρ
=3(2.5*10-5)(298-283)M/1250
=9.0*10-7M

Am I on the right track?

Patricia Reid said:
V=3αVΔT

Check the correctness of this equation by comparing to the one you provided for linear expansion. V should not cancel algebraically...otherwise how would you find ρ?

uselesslemma said:
Check the correctness of this equation by comparing to the one you provided for linear expansion. V should not cancel algebraically...otherwise how would you find ρ?

So I ended up using the equation V=(1+β(Tf-Ti)) Vi and substituting v=m/ρ which gave me the right answer!

Thanks for your help!

Patricia Reid said:
So I ended up using the equation V=(1+β(Tf-Ti)) Vi and substituting v=m/ρ which gave me the right answer!

Thanks for your help!
Why did you do "1+" in your formula?

forceanger said:
Why did you do "1+" in your formula?

I'm not really sure... it was on a sheet my professor handed out it's suppose to be a parametrization for the volume or something it should have actually have been written as V(T)≈(1+β(Δt))V0

Patricia Reid said:
I'm not really sure... it was on a sheet my professor handed out it's suppose to be a parametrization for the volume or something it should have actually have been written as V(T)≈(1+β(Δt))V0
This looks correct to me.

Chet

Formula: Δρ=3αρΔT
Δρ=3*2.5*10-5*1250*(25-10)
Δρ=1.406 Kgm3
As temperature increases, volume increases. As volume increases, density decreases.
Thus as temperature increases, density decreases.
Therefore the final density at 25°C=initial density - final density
=1250-1.406
=1248.594 Kgm3

ρ21/1+βΔT
use this formula it should work.

1. What is density and how is it related to thermodynamics?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained within a given volume of a substance. In thermodynamics, density is important because it affects the behavior of substances under different temperature and pressure conditions. As temperature increases, the density of most substances decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the ideal gas law, which states that the density of an ideal gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its pressure.

2. How does linear expansion relate to thermodynamics?

Linear expansion is the increase in length of a substance when it is heated. In thermodynamics, linear expansion is important because it is one of the ways in which heat energy can be transferred from one object to another. This process is known as thermal expansion, and it is described by the coefficient of linear expansion, which quantifies the amount of expansion that occurs for a given change in temperature.

3. What is the difference between thermal expansion and temperature?

Thermal expansion is a physical process that occurs when a substance is heated, causing it to expand in size. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles within a substance. While thermal expansion is affected by temperature, they are not the same thing. Temperature is a measure of the internal energy of a substance, while thermal expansion is a manifestation of this energy.

4. How does temperature affect the density of a substance?

In general, as temperature increases, the density of most substances decreases. This is because as temperature increases, the particles within a substance gain more kinetic energy and begin to move more quickly. This increased movement between particles leads to a decrease in the overall density of the substance. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, such as water, which actually increases in density when it reaches its freezing point.

5. How is the ideal gas law used to calculate changes in density?

The ideal gas law, which is expressed as PV = nRT, can be used to calculate changes in density by rearranging the equation to solve for density (ρ = m/V = nM/V, where m is the mass, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, and M is the molar mass). This equation can be used to calculate the density of an ideal gas at different temperature and pressure conditions, as well as to calculate changes in density when other variables are known.