Thevenin equivalent circuit help

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a circuit with two voltage sources, and the speaker asks for step-by-step guidance. They also mention determining the equivalent resistance and the voltage between two points on the circuit. Various methods, such as circuit theorems, nodal analysis, and mesh current method, are suggested to solve the circuit. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to find the equivalent resistance by replacing the voltage sources with short circuits.
full123
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5369/eehmwk.jpg

I haven't done this before with 2 voltage sources so I'm not sure how I would go about doing it.

If someone could show me step by step how to understand this, I would appreciate it.

Equivalent resistance = 2.5ohms, right?
But what about Vs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
full123 said:
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5369/eehmwk.jpg

I haven't done this before with 2 voltage sources so I'm not sure how I would go about doing it.

If someone could show me step by step how to understand this, I would appreciate it.

Equivalent resistance = 2.5ohms, right?
But what about Vs?

There are several different ways to solve this circuit. What circuit theorems have you been introduced to?

Last edited by a moderator:
full123 said:
But what about Vs?
Can you determine the voltage between a and b on the main circuit? That becomes Vs in the Thevenin equivalent.

2 or 3 voltages, it doesn't matter. It is the same approach most of the time :smile:
Find the voltage across AB, that is: Vab (using nodal analysis). Then find the short-circuit current Isc, that is in the direction of the voltage DROP across AB (using mesh current method). Then it is a matter of using Ohm's law to find Rth and constructing Thevenin equivalent circuit.
Of course you don't have to have to find the current Isc (which is cumbersome used often), since you can replace the Voltage sources by short circuits and then find the equivalent resistance Rth. But I was just suggesting to use the formal approach.

Last edited:

Thevenin equivalent circuit is a useful concept in circuit analysis where we can simplify a complex circuit into a single equivalent circuit. This is particularly useful when we want to analyze the behavior of a circuit without having to deal with its intricate details. In this case, the Thevenin equivalent circuit helps us to understand the behavior of a circuit with two voltage sources.

To find the Thevenin equivalent circuit, we need to find the equivalent resistance (Rth) and the equivalent voltage source (Vth). The equivalent resistance is calculated by shorting all voltage sources and open-circuiting all current sources in the original circuit. In this case, the equivalent resistance is indeed 2.5 ohms, as you correctly mentioned.

To find the equivalent voltage source, we need to consider the voltage at the open-circuited terminals of the original circuit. In this case, the open-circuited terminals are the two points where the 2.5 ohm resistor meets the two voltage sources. Since there are two voltage sources, we need to use the voltage divider rule to find the voltage at these points. The voltage divider rule states that the voltage at a point is equal to the ratio of the resistance connected to that point to the total resistance in the circuit, multiplied by the total voltage in the circuit. In this case, the voltage at these points will be:

Veq = (2.5 ohms / (2.5 ohms + 2.5 ohms)) * 10V = 5V

Therefore, our Thevenin equivalent circuit will have an equivalent resistance of 2.5 ohms and an equivalent voltage source of 5V. This means that the original circuit can be simplified into a single voltage source of 5V in series with a 2.5 ohm resistor.

I hope this helps you understand the concept of Thevenin equivalent circuit better. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

What is a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit consisting of a voltage source and a series resistance. It is used to model the behavior of a circuit at a specific point, making it easier to analyze and design.

How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

To calculate a Thevenin equivalent circuit, the circuit is first simplified by removing all the loads and short-circuiting all the voltage sources. Then, the equivalent resistance and the open-circuit voltage at the desired point are determined.

Why is a Thevenin equivalent circuit important?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit is important because it simplifies the analysis and design of complex circuits. It allows engineers to focus on specific parts of a circuit without having to consider the entire circuit, making it easier to troubleshoot and improve circuit performance.

What are the limitations of a Thevenin equivalent circuit?

A Thevenin equivalent circuit assumes that the circuit is linear and that the behavior of the circuit is constant. It also assumes that the circuit is in steady-state and does not take into account any changes in the circuit over time.

How is a Thevenin equivalent circuit used in practical applications?

Thevenin equivalent circuits are commonly used in circuit analysis and design, as well as in electronic modeling and simulation. They are also used in the design of power supplies, amplifiers, and other electronic devices.