What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Dude The Rover has the dirtiest riff ever; that song is it's own kind of high. I'm pretty sure that riff can impregnate women.

By the way, I'm 100% sure that this song can impregnate women:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm3zUQjG5no
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WannabeNewton said:
Dude The Rover has the dirtiest riff ever; that song is it's own kind of high. I'm pretty sure that riff can impregnate women.

Let's just hope there wasn't a shark involved.
 
Just to add something different here:

Meshell Ndegeocello cover of a Bill Withers song - Who is He and What is He to You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0ov9082a1c

Andre Ward - Marvin's Medley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAmKbC7h_iE

something swing old: 1946, Benny Goodman - All The Cats Join In

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y2hfFMMpZM

something swing new: 2010, Bill Elliot Swing Orchestra - When We Dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAK-5QP8Ec
 
Last edited:
rcgldr said:
Just to add something different here:

Thanks rcgldr. I think we were in danger of getting Led poisoning (not that I don't like Led, but...).
 
SW VandeCarr said:
I'm probably older than you and while I like the "classics", how about posting some current stuff once in a while? This thread is overdosing on nostalgia.

Careful nvn, or Vande might jump on you for being too nostalgic :-p

I love it, but maybe safer to post these cool cover's in my thread, "Even better than the real thing." :approve:

Edit: Wow, I cried my eyes out over this song. I'm a real softy for great vocal harmonies. I hit your thank you button, nvn :wink:
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I couldn't resist :shy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc
 
Continuing with the something different theme:

5 musicians, one guitar: Walk Off The Earth - cover of Somebody That I Used to Know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4phH8xBurs

Oceanlab - On a Good Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWi78UHCuv4

Manhattan Transfer - Mystery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNq2MLg0N4E

Rolling Stones 1964 cover of Chuck Berry's 1958 version of Around Around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYSGXbdksus
 
Last edited:
Very different styles from the same artist:

Chris Rea - Looking for the Summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8a6kHQN9BA

Chris Rea - Working On It (1989, featured in Miami Vice episode - Miami Squeeze)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0fOoyiIq7M
 
To make things clear - I don't care what you think, I was looking for this song for 20 years.



It is in Russian, my Mom brought it on cassette from Moscow (or Irkutsk?) back in early eighties, but the cassette got lost and I remembered only some parts of the text. I tried to look for these lines several times, last in 2010, but for no luck. I tried again today :smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like the rhythm, it reminds me of a French song somehow. Do you have a link to the lyrics, Borek?
 
Набегают волны синие.
Зеленые? Нет, синие.
Как хамелеонов миллионы,
Цвет меняя на ветру.
Ласково цветет глициния,
Она нежнее инея...
А где-то есть земля Дельфиния
И город Кенгуру.

Это далеко! Ну что же? -
Я туда уеду тоже.
Ах ты боже, ты мой боже,
Что там будет без меня?
Пальмы без меня засохнут,
Розы без меня заглохнут,
Птицы без меня замолкнут -
Вот что будет без меня.

Да, но без меня в который раз
Отплыло судно "Дикобраз",
Как же я подобную беду
Из памяти сотру?
А вчера пришло, пришло, пришло
Ко мне письмо, письмо, письмо
Со штемпелем моей Дельфинии,
Со штампом Кенгуру.

Белые конверты с почты
Рвутся, как магнолий почки,
Пахнут, как жасмин, но вот что
Пишет мне моя родня:
Пальмы без меня не сохнут,
Розы без меня не глохнут.
Птицы без меня не молкнут...
Как же это без меня?

Набегают волны синие:
Зеленые? Нет, синие.
Набегают слезы горькие...
Смахну, стряхну, сотру.
Ласково цветет глициния -
Она нежнее инея...
А где-то есть земля Дельфиния
И город Кенгуру.

Nice. :smile:
 
Это очень хорошая песня. Это заставляет меня хотеть пить хорошую русскую водку!
 
Last edited:
Borek said:
To make things clear - I don't care what you think, I was looking for this song for 20 years.
...
It is in Russian, my Mom brought it on cassette from Moscow (or Irkutsk?) back in early eighties, but the cassette got lost and I remembered only some parts of the text. I tried to look for these lines several times, last in 2010, but for no luck. I tried again today :smile:

I had a similar experience with a song from the 80's.
It was popular for awhile, but then disappeared.
Decades later, I heard it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxoZB__lI8g
Tempted, by Squeeze​

Silly lyrics, but I liked it.
 
I had a similar experience with a song from the 80's.
It was popular for awhile, but then disappeared.
Decades later, I heard it again.

I like this one by Squeeze, Om.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9QZhLSKEps
 
Highway 101 was OK, but I preferred them with Nikki Nelson (this lady) over the line-up with Paulette Carlson.



BTW, if I have posted this link before, I apologize. The song just came up on the carousel, and I love it.

Now I was foot loose and fancy free
I had respect, I had dignity
Then this thing got to hold 'a me
And it still will not let go
I walked in, and my heartbeat jumped
My hair stood up, and my skin goose-bumped
My mind went blank, and my IQ slumped
And my judgment hit the road
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlWUQedW9I
David Bowie, Young Americans, Win, ca 1975​
 
I think this should actually be in the Pink Floyd thread but was afraid to post it there cause it was just Waters and Geesin, and not the rest of the boys. Feel free to move it there if you want. Anyway, I used to listen to this high with my buddies looking out over the bluffs at campus point at UCSB in college. It scared the living crap out of me to the point I eventually had to throw it away. However, there's obvious magic in there, what kind of magic I guess will depend on the individual. Enjoy... Good luck. There's several parts, btw.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXcHI36Otk
 
TRACY CHAPMAN & BUDDY GUY: AIN'T NO SUNSHINE



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFzQ-vBXm0
 
Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKtqTYSOBCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5EesOU5oc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTVsp_q8mxE&NR=1
 
Last edited:
I love this song today, it fits my mood. A little up, a little down.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Since I posted the lyrics (except for the last repeated verse) in the Beautiful Lyrics thread, I may as well post the June Christy version of Midnight Sun here. The melody was written by Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke as an instrumental and lyricist Johnny Mercer later wrote the lyrics.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmM_OvBc31s
 
Last edited by a moderator:
SW VandeCarr keeps trying to get me to play contemporary songs. This one struck my fancy recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sV0S8qWSy0
 
Omg that's the girl from Nickelodeon's show "Victorious". Does every talentless pile of garbage on Nick and Disney channel get a record deal these days? Jesus Christ.

Anyways, I've been tripping to this lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYRBTZWu8U
 
WannabeNewton said:
Omg that's the girl from Nickelodeon's show "Victorious". Does every talentless pile of garbage on Nick and Disney channel get a record deal these days? Jesus Christ.

Apparently.


Anyways, I've been tripping to this lately:

Tripping about sums it up. Now I know my monitor has the 16 million colors it advertises.

Btw, "Anyways"? You're starting to sound like Leonard Susskind. Or is that extra "s" a Manhattan thing?