Calorimetry Lab Analysis (predict specific heat of unknown metal)

In summary, the problem is that the data in the spreadsheet is wrong because the specific heat of water is 4.184 J/gC, which is different from the 50 J/gC that is in the data. The equations that the expert used to calculate the change in temperature were correct, but the equations for calculating the specific heat of the metal were not.
Wubblyboofus said:
Did I input the correct temperatures here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
Did I input the correct temperatures here?
yes i think you did

but i fixed the spreadsheet data and now I am getting 1.1 J/gC
calorimetry is so weird

Wubblyboofus said:
but i fixed the spreadsheet data and now I am getting 1.1 J/gC
calorimetry is so weird
Let's see your hand calculation.

4.184*30*76.8/73.3/121.5=1.082
4.184*30*79.3/74/121.5=1.107
4.184*30*75.8/72.8/121.5=1.076

?

Wubblyboofus said:
4.184*30*76.8/73.3/121.5=1.082
4.184*30*79.3/74/121.5=1.107
4.184*30*75.8/72.8/121.5=1.076

?
is the 76.8 in degrees C or degrees F? Is the 73.3 in degrees C or degrees F? What are the actual initial and final temperatures of cube and water for this case?

Chestermiller said:
is the 76.8 in degrees C or degrees F? Is the 73.3 in degrees C or degrees F? What are the actual initial and final temperatures of cube and water for this case?
the 76.8 and 73.3 are changes in temperature

Chestermiller said:
the actual are
trial namemass in gti in Ctf in Cmass water in gti water in Ctf water in Cct in Cct water in Cspecific heat in J/gC
UM1121.599.626.33022.899.673.376.81.082415239

acronyms
ti initial temperature
tffinal temperature
ggrams
Cdegrees celcius
ctchange in temperature
Jjoules
UMunknown metal trial
LTlead trial

How can the final temperature of the water be higher than the final temperature of the cube?

the initial temp of the cube if before i put it into the boiling water
the final temp of the cube is after i put it in the boiling water for a couple minutes
the initial temp of the water is room temp (before i put the boiling cube in)
the final temp of the water is the highest temp the room temp water becomes after putting the cube in

Wubblyboofus said:
the water ti and tf is how much the room temperature water was heated once the metal (at 212 C) was placed into it. so it goes from about 21 to 26 because the water has high specific heat so it is hard to raise its temperature even if a block of boiling metal is placed into it.
the metal ti and tf however is how much the metal was heated once placed into boiling water. so that would be from 21 to 212.

as i said earlier the procedure went as follows:
put metal into boiling water
metal is now at boiling temperature
put that same metal into room temp water
see how much the room temp water heats
calculate specific heat of metal
use that to identify the metal
You heated the water to 100C not 212C.

Wubblyboofus said:
the initial temp of the cube if before i put it into the boiling water
the final temp of the cube is after i put it in the boiling water for a couple minutes
Are you aware that this has nothing to do with the measurement you are trying to make? The only reason for putting the cube in the boiling water was to establish its starting temperature for the subsequent measurement.

tech99 said:
You heated the water to 100C not 212C.
yea i fixed that already
but i can't change the original post for some reason
i changed my spreadsheet though

Chestermiller said:
Are you aware that this has nothing to do with the measurement you are trying to make? The only reason for putting the cube in the boiling water was to establish its starting temperature for the subsequent measurement.
oh
so would the new one be
water:
21 --> 26
metal:
212 --> 26

this is due tomorrow dang

and after i predict this i have to find the percent error of my calculations

Wubblyboofus said:
oh
so would the new one be
water:
21 --> 26
metal:
212 --> 26
100 —> 26

Chestermiller said:
100 —> 26
ok let me put it all thru the calculator again ugh

i really appreciate your guys's help by the way. i probably would have never found my mistakes without you guys
thanks

<h2>1. What is calorimetry and how does it relate to this lab analysis?</h2><p>Calorimetry is the measurement of heat transfer in a chemical or physical process. In this lab analysis, we will be using a calorimeter to measure the heat transfer between a known substance and an unknown metal, in order to determine the specific heat of the unknown metal.</p><h2>2. What is specific heat and why is it important to know?</h2><p>Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is important to know because it can help us identify and classify different substances, as well as understand how they will react to changes in temperature.</p><h2>3. What factors can affect the accuracy of our results in this lab analysis?</h2><p>Some factors that can affect the accuracy of our results include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of the substances, and errors in measurement or calculation. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain more precise results.</p><h2>4. How can we use the data collected in this lab analysis to determine the specific heat of the unknown metal?</h2><p>By measuring the temperature change of the known substance and the unknown metal when they are mixed together, we can calculate the heat transfer and use the equation Q = m x c x ΔT (where Q is heat transfer, m is mass, c is specific heat, and ΔT is temperature change) to determine the specific heat of the unknown metal.</p><h2>5. Are there any safety precautions we should take during this lab analysis?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to handle hot objects and substances with caution to avoid burns. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling chemicals. Additionally, always follow the instructions provided and dispose of any waste materials properly.</p>

1. What is calorimetry and how does it relate to this lab analysis?

Calorimetry is the measurement of heat transfer in a chemical or physical process. In this lab analysis, we will be using a calorimeter to measure the heat transfer between a known substance and an unknown metal, in order to determine the specific heat of the unknown metal.

2. What is specific heat and why is it important to know?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is important to know because it can help us identify and classify different substances, as well as understand how they will react to changes in temperature.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of our results in this lab analysis?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of our results include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of the substances, and errors in measurement or calculation. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain more precise results.

4. How can we use the data collected in this lab analysis to determine the specific heat of the unknown metal?

By measuring the temperature change of the known substance and the unknown metal when they are mixed together, we can calculate the heat transfer and use the equation Q = m x c x ΔT (where Q is heat transfer, m is mass, c is specific heat, and ΔT is temperature change) to determine the specific heat of the unknown metal.

5. Are there any safety precautions we should take during this lab analysis?

Yes, it is important to handle hot objects and substances with caution to avoid burns. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling chemicals. Additionally, always follow the instructions provided and dispose of any waste materials properly.