Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
FB_IMG_16953175293371672.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Ibix, nuuskur, jack action and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Sommelier breaks his silence and discloses: All wines taste exactly the same.
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Ibix, jack action and 1 other person
Ibix said:
Is that the oldest known joke?
Yes. Mesopotamia, some several thousand years ago. However, I don't get it. I thought since we carry an empirical science in our name, I take it to the test and see how many "likes" and how many "scepticals" I get to see whether it is my lack of phantasy and it is "funny" or whether it is indeed "lame" at best or "not funny" at all.

Unfortunately, the experiment is contaminated now that you revealed its origin.

However, if I think about it and my suspicion is correct, then it is indeed a bit funny: The sound you might hear in such situations is not from a fart.
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
Yes. Mesopotamia, some several thousand years ago. However, I don't get it. I thought since we carry an empirical science in our name, I take it to the test and see how many "likes" and how many "scepticals" I get to see whether it is my lack of phantasy and it is "funny" or whether it is indeed "lame" at best or "not funny" at all.

Unfortunately, the experiment is contaminated now that you revealed its origin.
To be honest, I didn't really understand it. The image was kind of lost on me. After researching it, I found this:
https://short-history.com/the-worlds-oldest-joke-a4d50477ddca said:
The joke is following:

“Something which has never occurred since time immemorial…A young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap.”

— The world’s oldest joke

Do you find it funny? Will you tell the joke at the next party?

Some say the Sumerian joke is the ancient predecessor of John Barrymore’s quote: “Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a haddock.” Be the judge of that yourself.
Now I understand where they were going (if it is really what they meant) but a joke that needs to be explained is not funny. Lame AND not funny. Maybe the humor was lost in translation?

But we had to start somewhere.
 
jack action said:
Now I understand where they were going (if it is really what they meant) but a joke that needs to be explained is not funny. Lame AND not funny. Maybe the humor was lost in translation?
Compare my interpretation in the Spoiler tags I added.
 
jack action said:
To be honest, I didn't really understand it. The image was kind of lost on me. After researching it, I found this:

Now I understand where they were going (if it is really what they meant) but a joke that needs to be explained is not funny. Lame AND not funny. Maybe the humor was lost in translation?

But we had to start somewhere.
Ancient Sumerian is full of puns and wordplay. I expect something was lost in translation 🙂
 
Listen, ladies ... let's get this straight once and for all. If your man says he is going to fix something, then dammit, he WILL fix it.

You don't have to keep reminding him every three or four months.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Ibix, BillTre and 3 others
jack action said:
With so many interpretations, are we even sure it's a joke?
So you think we may be just asumerian that it is?
 
From Facebook today, some of these are pretty good. My favorite is the one in the lower left. :smile:

1695508665122.png
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre, nuuskur and 1 other person