Effect of temperature on the heat of combustion

The heat of combustion and enthalpy are not the same, but they are closely related. The heat of combustion is a specific type of enthalpy change that occurs during a combustion reaction. It is a measure of the energy released when a substance is burned in the presence of oxygen. Enthalpy, on the other hand, is a measure of the total energy of a system. So while the two are related, they are not interchangeable.
kester
Physics news on Phys.org
DEvens said:
Standard (my addt'n & emphasis) Heat of combustion is defined at standard conditions.
Heats of reactions/combustions at other conditions are functions of T,P.

kester said:
Like in a topic. I just got this question and I am looking for some help.

I found this one http://wikieducator.org/The1stLawofThermodynamicsLesson5 I don't know, is the heat of combustion is the same as entalphy?
Heat of combustion is the difference in enthalpy between the products of the reaction and the reactants at a specified temperature and pressure. It refers to reactants in molar stoichiometric proportions producing products in stoichiometric molar proportions.

Chet

1. What is the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion is the amount of energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion in the presence of excess oxygen. It is typically measured in kilojoules per mole.

2. How does temperature affect the heat of combustion?

An increase in temperature generally leads to an increase in the heat of combustion. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the reaction to occur and can also lead to more complete combustion.

3. What factors can influence the effect of temperature on the heat of combustion?

Apart from temperature, factors such as the type of fuel, the amount of oxygen present, and the availability of a catalyst can also affect the heat of combustion. These variables can impact the efficiency and completeness of the combustion reaction.

4. Why is it important to study the effect of temperature on the heat of combustion?

Understanding the relationship between temperature and heat of combustion is crucial in various industries that involve the use of fuels, such as energy production and transportation. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and environmentally friendly combustion processes.

5. How is the effect of temperature on the heat of combustion measured?

The effect of temperature on the heat of combustion can be measured through experiments in a controlled environment. This involves measuring the change in temperature and energy released during the combustion of a specific fuel at different temperatures and comparing the results.