1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Net Ionic

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    I am supose to write the net ionic equation for

Complete the right side of the following molecular equation (but do not enter). Then enter the net ionic equation. Assume all salts formed are soluble. Acid salts are possible. Use = instead of ==>. Do not use spaces or subscripts. You may use brackets.

[tex] Ca(OH)_2(aq) + 2H_2SO_4(aq) ==> [/tex]

I get that the products would be [tex] H_2O(l)+CaSO_4(s) [/tex]

So Do I just have to balance this equation? then seperate the two aq on the left into ions and leave the right as it is.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should also consider the "acidic salt", this is sort of a weird question, because it neglects the effect of precipitation, if such a salt CaS04 precipitates, than it would drive the dissociation of HS04- forward, which usually doesn't occur to a great extent. But I think they just want you to play dumb on this one.

Once you find all of the salts, the net ionic equation will pertain to just these salts...for instance

[tex]Ca^{2+}_{(aq)} + SO_4^{2-}_{(aq} ---> CaSO4_{(s)}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?