Calculating Current in Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit and calculating the current I using KCL at the node under -8.7V. To find Rth, the current and voltage sources are killed and the equivalent resistance between A&B is measured. KCL is valid everywhere and the node voltages of -6.7 and -8.7 can be used to find Isc. The 1mA source is connected in parallel with a short-circuited wire, so the system can be short-circuited to solve for I. The correct equation for I is IR10 = Isource + I, with the direction of Isc in mind.
john88

I trying to figure out a thevenin equivalent circuit

I want to calculate the current I so I can't get the resistance for the thevenin equivalent.

Im not 100% sure how to calculate I, can I use KCL on the node under the number -8.7V?

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=curfc7.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

That sure is a complex circuit. To find Rth, kill all the current and voltage sources and then measure the equivalent resistance between A&B.

KCL is valid everywhere. Is that -6.7 and -8.7 node voltages given by the question? If so, then you can easily find Isc. Also note that the 1mA source is connected in parallel with a short-circuited wire.

so if short circuit the system. Can I setup KCL on node A and then solve for I,
I = I(source) + I(R10).

But it seems odd to do so.

You got the equation wrong. It's IR10 = Isource + I. Be careful of the direction designated for Isc.

ok, got everything together now, ty for the help!

1. What is Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is a simplified circuit that can represent a complex circuit with multiple components. It consists of a voltage source in series with a single resistor, and is used to analyze the behavior of the original circuit.

2. How is Thevenin equivalent circuit calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent circuit can be calculated by finding the open-circuit voltage and the equivalent resistance of the original circuit. The open-circuit voltage is the voltage across the open terminals of the circuit, and the equivalent resistance is the resistance seen from those terminals.

3. What is the purpose of Thevenin equivalent circuit?

The purpose of Thevenin equivalent circuit is to simplify complex circuits and make it easier to analyze their behavior. It is especially useful in circuit analysis and design, as it reduces the number of components and calculations needed.

4. What are the limitations of Thevenin equivalent circuit?

Thevenin equivalent circuit assumes that the circuit is linear and contains only independent sources. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature and frequency. In addition, it may not accurately represent circuits with non-linear components such as diodes or transistors.

5. How is Thevenin equivalent circuit used in practical applications?

Thevenin equivalent circuit is commonly used in electronic design and troubleshooting. It allows engineers to quickly analyze the behavior of a circuit and make changes as needed. It is also used in circuit simulation software to model and test circuits before they are built.