Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,334 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 19,385
- 15,622
- 2,020
- 843
- 20,819
- 28,467
##\overline{V}MLX##Tom.G said:LX times CI = MMMMMMLX
- 20,819
- 28,467
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
Essentially the same joke:WWGD said:
My uncle died peacefully in his sleep.
Unlike his passengers.
- 19,385
- 15,622
- 19,385
- 15,622
The version I heard was: When I die, I want to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my uncle. Not all screaming and terrified like his passengers.DrGreg said:My uncle died peacefully in his sleep.
Unlike his passengers.
- 19,385
- 15,622
But, to be fair, I believe that, technically, the gestation time for an Osprey is more like 3 years.fresh_42 said:![]()
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST. FORMATTING IN THE REFERRED-TO POSTS DID NOT SHOW ON MY SCREEN. ("overline" formatting did not happen)
For details see
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6922206
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6922421@WWGD said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6921749
...multiply any numbers of length 2 ( contrived, but necessary*) in less than 3 minutes.
I proposed LX times CI@Tom.G said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6921834
LX times CI = MMMMMMLX@Fresh42 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6922065
VMLXAccording to:
https://byjus.com/maths/roman-numerals/
. When a symbol of a smaller value appears before a greater value symbol, it will be subtracted. For Example- IX = X – I = 10 – 1 = 9.
. The symbols V, L, and D are never subtracted, as they are not written before a greater value symbol.
I have not been able to find any information that the Romans depicted numbers as products of numerals. Please let us know if you find such.
Cheers,
Tom
For details see
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6922206
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6922421@WWGD said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6921749
...multiply any numbers of length 2 ( contrived, but necessary*) in less than 3 minutes.
I proposed LX times CI@Tom.G said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6921834
LX times CI = MMMMMMLX@Fresh42 said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/6922065
VMLXAccording to:
https://byjus.com/maths/roman-numerals/
. When a symbol of a smaller value appears before a greater value symbol, it will be subtracted. For Example- IX = X – I = 10 – 1 = 9.
. The symbols V, L, and D are never subtracted, as they are not written before a greater value symbol.
I have not been able to find any information that the Romans depicted numbers as products of numerals. Please let us know if you find such.
Cheers,
Tom
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 13,423
- 4,244
- 20,819
- 28,467
Please quote correctly! I wrote ##\overline{V}MLX##!Tom.G said:
Tom.G said:According to:
https://byjus.com/maths/roman-numerals/
. When a symbol of a smaller value appears before a greater value symbol, it will be subtracted. For Example- IX = X – I = 10 – 1 = 9.
. The symbols V, L, and D are never subtracted, as they are not written before a greater value symbol.
That's why I used the overlined symbol. ##\overline{V}=MMMMM>M.##
There are various ways to deal with numbers greater than a thousand. Overlining is one of them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals
(look for "vinculum")
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
ohwilleke
Gold Member
- 2,695
- 1,669
- 2,020
- 843
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
##f'''(X)## : pizzaohwilleke said:
- 20,819
- 28,467
DeBangis21
Gold Member
- 42
- 108
This is Pawpawfresh_42 said:
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8