Collection of Lame Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,333 replies · 3M views
phinds said:
I'm guessing that man leaning on a tree hasn't been downwind of a cattle farm.

A quick Google check shows that there are 1.4 billion cars and 1 billion cows. Assuming that a car is parked (and turned off) for 95% of its life, that amounts to 72 minutes of running time per day. Meanwhile, the cows are happily producing 'emissions' 24/7. Even if you were to compare an average of cows to cars (1B cows/1.4B cars), it would still work out to 17 hours of cow emissions per day as compared to a car's 72 minutes.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
plot twist, the person locked in the garage with a car will have died of CO poisoning
 
Borg said:
I'm guessing that man leaning on a tree hasn't been downwind of a cattle farm.

A quick Google check shows that there are 1.4 billion cars and 1 billion cows. Assuming that a car is parked (and turned off) for 95% of its life, that amounts to 72 minutes of running time per day. Meanwhile, the cows are happily producing 'emissions' 24/7. Even if you were to compare an average of cows to cars (1B cows/1.4B cars), it would still work out to 17 hours of cow emissions per day as compared to a car's 72 minutes.
An interesting analysis but utterly incomplete. How much methane do cows emit per hour vs how much do cars emit? If cars emit 20 times as much per running hour as does a cow for one hour **, then your analysis supports the thesis of the joke.

** I suspect this is not the case, but I'm just sayin' ...
 
phinds said:
An interesting analysis but utterly incomplete.
Whereas the original meme is utterly misleading. I wouldn't lock myself in a garage to determine whether an average car produces more pollutants than an average cow.
 
Borg said:
Whereas the original meme is utterly misleading. I wouldn't lock myself in a garage to determine whether an average car produces more pollutants than an average cow.
Nor would I. It IS a joke after all. Still, this side-steps the issue of your analysis being incomplete. How scientific is that?
 
phinds said:
Nor would I. It IS a joke after all. Still, this side-steps the issue of your analysis being incomplete. How scientific is that?
I never claimed completeness in my statement. My point is that the 'joke' tries to convince people of the invalidity of a premise by use of a strawman that is ridiculous in its analysis.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, BillTre and phinds
Screenshot_20230902_115724_Samsung Internet.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN and Wrichik Basu