Collection of Lame Jokes

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: It's a humor that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness. It's not for everyone.Not a fan of surrealism, I take it?In summary, surrealism is an art form that relies on absurdity and unexpectedness, often producing incongruous imagery or effects. It may not be appreciated by everyone, but for those who do, it can be quite humorous.
  • #8,226
strangerep said:
Nah -- only the guys you're most attracted to. :oldtongue:

Well, I suppose I do like ‘em served rational with a tad bit neurotic and feisty... 🤣😂🤣 For real though, I’m hiding out and am ready to bolt on a couple of them at the moment.

I had this Navy vet go cuckoo on me a few months ago for “friendzoning” him after 2 dates. Immaturely requested that I give him back his textbooks (I didn’t ask) and then showed up at one of my jobs waiting in the parking lot -without telling me- a few days later because he wanted to make sure I got some of my stuff back and to tell me that he changed his mind about the books/wanting another date. Nope, buddy. My tactic is to lay low and try to disappear, I’m not keen on getting chopped up into pieces. Male ego can be overdramatic and irrational.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #8,227
06465088-FF10-468A-84B4-C4D538151EE5.jpeg

• Informative
Likes jack action and Auto-Didact
  • #8,228
Fervent Freyja said:
Well, I suppose I do like ‘em served rational with a tad bit neurotic and feisty... 🤣😂🤣 For real though, I’m hiding out and am ready to bolt on a couple of them at the moment. [...]

Geez, I'd intended only a joke,... but,... hmmm... :eek: o_O o0)

• Haha
Likes Fervent Freyja
  • #8,229
  • Haha
Likes jack action and Fervent Freyja
  • #8,230
  • Haha
Likes 256bits, davenn, collinsmark and 2 others
  • #8,231
Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson had gone camping.

They pitched their tent under the stars and went to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night, Holmes shook Watson awake and demanded, "Watson look up in the sky and tell me what you see."

Complying, Watson replied, "Stars, Holmes. Millions and millions of stars."

"And what do you deduce from that?" Holmes asked.

Watson replied thoughtfully, "Well if there are a million stars, and even if a few of those have planets, it's quite likely there are some planets like Earth out there. And if there are few planets like Earth out there, there might also be life."

And Holmes said, "Watson, you idiot, it means somebody stole our tent."

• Haha
Likes jim mcnamara, Wrichik Basu, 256bits and 6 others
  • #8,232
car-accident.jpg

• Haha
Likes 256bits, Wrichik Basu, DrClaude and 2 others
  • #8,233
I'd tell you a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.

Likes collinsmark, jim mcnamara, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
  • #8,234
jack action said:
I' te l you joke a out UDP, but you m ht ot get it.
Sorry, I think I have a bad connection here...

Likes jack action
  • #8,235
bike.jpg

• Haha
Likes 256bits, Fervent Freyja, Wrichik Basu and 5 others
  • #8,236
Clear evidence that lawyers got smarter.

Likes atyy and davenn
  • #8,237
1601264173616.png
A history lesson for people who think that history doesn't matter:
What's the big deal about railroad tracks?

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches.
That's an exceedingly odd number.
Why was that gauge used?
Well, because that's the way they built them in England, and English engineers designed the first US railroads.
Why did the English build them like that?
Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the wagon tramways, and that's the gauge they used.
So, why did 'they' use that gauge then?
Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that same wheel spacing.
Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing?
Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break more often on some of the old, long distance roads in England . You see, that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.
So who built those old rutted roads?
Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.
And what about the ruts in the roads?
Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match or run the risk of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome , they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.
So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?', you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.)

Now, the twist to the story:
When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah . The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.
So, a major Space Shuttle design feature, of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system, was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything

• Skeptical
  • Informative
Likes strangerep, Fervent Freyja, jack action and 5 others
  • #8,240
mfb said:

Partially why I posted in the comedy section rather than in the main GD part
I couldn't verify the info so decided to treat it with a partly true -> comic relief :smile:

• #8,241
1601297613762.png

• #8,242
mfb said:
1435 mm = 4' 8.5" is widely used but not the only standard (we should make a new one to standardize).
There are 1450 mm, 1458 mm, 1495 mm, 1520 mm, 1524 mm, ...
Pennsylvania has two different broad gauges: 1588mm (5'2.5") on Pittsburgh's light rail / streetcar lines, and 1581mm (5'2.25") on Philadelphia's light rail / streetcar / subway (metro) lines.

I've read that in the 1800s, some cities deliberately forced their street railways to use gauges different from standard railroad gauge, in order to eliminate the possibility of running full-size trains down the streets.

• #8,243
35030A93-2E12-4BD6-8315-5D50036E9238.jpeg

• #8,244
71410966-636B-4343-95C8-97ED72C1E3DD.jpeg

• #8,245
I knew this would happen:

Screenshot from 2020-09-29 19-38-23.png

Likes jack action and Ibix
  • #8,246
(Too many good jokes in this thread, I need to balance it with my lameness.)

I asked the nucleus, “what happened to the cat?”

It said, “IDK”

• #8,247
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/message_boards.png
message_boards.png

Title text: (c) You can have a scooter when you pay for it yourself, and (d) if you can't learn to start a new thread rather than responding to an old one, you'll be banned. [thread locked by moderator]

• #8,248
DrClaude said:
start a new thread rather than responding to an old one
There is https://peakoil.com/forums/australia-new-zealand-discussion-f49.html?sid=85435de8fe9aacdf5ceb2b95f6a9f38fwhere they discourage starting new threads (see the dates in the left column). It can get awkward sometimes - respond to a post and be told "he died a few years ago".

• #8,249
The blazon of Russian town Zheleznogorsk.
This town is built around a factory which produced the arm plutonium in 1960th.
Screenshot from 2020-09-30 19-59-50.png

• #8,250
jack action said:
I'd tell you a joke about UDP, but you might not get it.
In the same trend:

I have a HTTP joke but if I POST it here then you will not GET it.

• Informative
Likes Fervent Freyja, Ibix, mfb and 1 other person
  • #8,251
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.49.59 PM.png

• Haha
Likes davenn, jim mcnamara, DrClaude and 3 others
  • #8,252
My joke was too lame even for the lame thread :cry:
Hiero said:
I asked the nucleus, “what happened to the cat?”

It said, “IDK”
”IDK” = “I decay”

Likes davenn and atyy
  • #8,253
After a recent merger, the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe advertises that they can now handle everything including the Kitchens, Sink.

Likes jack action
  • #8,254
Today, I learned that the sheep who give us steel wool have no natural enemies.
--- per:
the cartoonist Gary Larson, a great source of Biological insight.

Likes davenn, 256bits, BillTre and 3 others
  • #8,255
jim mcnamara said:
Today, I learned that the sheep who give us steel wool have no natural enemies.
--- per:
the cartoonist Gary Larson, a great source of Biological insight.
What about the water buffalo?

Likes 256bits, Ibix and jack action
  • #8,256
green-vehicle.jpg

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes davenn, Auto-Didact, jasonRF and 4 others
  • #8,257
Not sure if I have posted this one before.

1601580038029.png

• Haha
Likes davenn, Borg, 256bits and 5 others
  • #8,259
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 3.46.04 AM.png

• #8,260
2f82b7a0df6801382534005056a9545d.gif

• Haha
Likes Filip Larsen, BillTre and Bystander