Collection of Lame Jokes
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Jokes
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
24,344 replies · 3M views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 13,926
- 16,805
I have decided to start a political party. It will be called the sensible Party (note the capitalisation). Any parties who don't immediately copy my platform will have to admit that they don't want to implement sensible policies.
thegoldbering
- 1
- 6
Swear to god I didn't know this one xD!jimmy p said:My dad was a pistol, that makes me a son of a gun...
- 20,819
- 28,467
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
- 16,110
- 8,527
I've driven through Gastonia (just off I-85 west of Charlotte) many times, and I can testify that it looks nothing like this.

Someone took a video that he had made in Switzerland, labeled it as you see here, and posted it to TikTok. The result:
Fla. woman ventures to Gastonia, N.C., fooled by TikTok video making it look like Switzerland (WBTV, Charlotte)
“And then all of a sudden we get there, and it’s just rundown gas stations - like we had to go to the bathroom and there was no bathroom that worked in any of the gas stations,” Garcia said.
And the nearest mountains are an hour's drive away, to the northwest.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
- 16,110
- 8,527
The patient should be a cat.DennisN said:
- 20,819
- 28,467
Last edited:
Halc
Gold Member
- 466
- 389
Why are there pyramids in Egypt?
They're too heavy to be shipped to the British Museum
They're too heavy to be shipped to the British Museum
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I don't want to get too heavy on ' Lame', but it seems in many cases the Brits picked up artifacts that were being seriously neglected to the point they were being irreparably damaged so that they would be lost to history. That is part of the reason.Halc said:Why are there are pyramids in Egypt?
They're too heavy to be shipped to the British Museum
- 13,926
- 16,805
Also, we're superior to everyone else, so we deserve to have them. <Salutes picture of queen, sings Rule Brittania>WWGD said:That is part of the reason.
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
A lumberjack went into a magic forest to cut a tree. Upon arrival, he started to swing at the tree, when it shouted, "Wait! I'm a talking tree!"
The lumberjack grinned and said: "And you will dialogue."
The lumberjack grinned and said: "And you will dialogue."
sysprog
- 2,617
- 1,793
I think that's really just a poor excuse for plundering. I attended a lecture in Chicago, delivered by a British Museum curator, about the 'Elgin Marbles', i.e. the large bas-relief scuptures that the British had removed from the Parthenon and taken to England. I talked to him afterward, and said that I was aware of the preservation motivation, but wanted to know if any thought had been given to idea of restoring them to the Parthenon, perhaps subject to an agreement by which the Greek government would safeguard them against deterioration. After trotting out some paternalistic disingenuities about what's best for the Marbles, his final reply to me was a loud and contemptuous "It's booty; you don't give back booty". That seemed more honest to me.WWGD said:I don't want to get too heavy on ' Lame', but it seems in many cases the Brits picked up artifacts that were being seriously neglected to the point they were being irreparably damaged so that they would be lost to history. That is part of the reason.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
It may be the case for some objects, not for others. I certainly admit I don't know about the topic in enough depth to fully agree or disagree with you. For the sake of context, I'm not an apologist for colonization( by the West or otherwise).sysprog said:I think that's really just a poor excuse for plundering. I attended a lecture in Chicago, delivered by a British Museum curator, about the 'Elgin Marbles', i.e. the large bas-relief scuptures that the British had removed from the Parthenon and taken to England. I talked to him afterward, and said that I was aware of the preservation motivation, but wanted to know if any thought had been given to idea of restoring them to the Parthenon, perhaps subject to an agreement by which the Greek government would safeguard them against deterioration. After trotting out some paternalistic disingenuities about what's best for the Marbles, his final reply to me was a loud and contemptuous "It's booty; you don't give back booty". That seemed more honest to me.
- 13,926
- 16,805
I think there is genuine concern about how well the Elgin marbles would be cared for in Greece. To what extent that concern is well-founded, I don't know. But the tone of the debate the last time I remember it being openly discussed did suggest to me that jingoism was a strong motivation for us hanging on to them.
sysprog
- 2,617
- 1,793
When it's done by force under bitter protest, any purported good motives are ipso facto at best suspect, and the rightful owner isn't wrong to condemn the privation.WWGD said:It may be the case for some objects, not for others. I certainly admit I don't know about the topic in enough depth to fully agree or disagree with you.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
But several of the rightful owners did not raise the issue until recently.sysprog said:When it's done by force under bitter protest, any purported good motives are ipso facto at best suspect, and the rightful owner isn't wrong to condemn the privation.
- 19,385
- 15,622
Damn right. We stole America from the native indians and we damn well aren't going to give it back. Who is worse, us or the looters of some marble ?sysprog said:.. his final reply to me was a loud and contemptuous "It's booty; you don't give back booty". That seemed more honest to me.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Just who today lives in the same place they lived 300 years ago? Displacing others is more the rule than the exception.phinds said:Damn right. We stole America from the native indians and we damn well aren't going to give it back. Who is worse, us or the looters of some marble ?
- 20,819
- 28,467
What you call a rightful owner was actually in most cases a predatory archaeologist.WWGD said:But several of the rightful owners did not raise the issue until recently.
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
Your jokes about the British Museum are so lame I don't get them. Here are pros do it:
Similar threads
- DennisN
- · Replies 17 ·
- Science Fiction and Fantasy Media
- Replies
- 17
- BillTre
- · Replies 4 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 4
- jedishrfu
- · Replies 2 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 2
- BadgerBadger92
- · Replies 1 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 1
- Sciencemaster
- · Replies 33 ·
- Linear and Abstract Algebra
- Replies
- 33
- jtbell
- · Replies 188 ·
- Feedback and Announcements
- Replies
- 188
- smart_worker
- · Replies 7 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 7
- psie
- · Replies 3 ·
- Topology and Analysis
- Replies
- 3
- JT Smith
- · Replies 12 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 12
- russellsh2
- · Replies 8 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 8